Author Topic: FJORD LINE  (Read 1956 times)

Offline David Harrison

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
FJORD LINE
« on: October 13, 2008, 09:52:50 AM »
FjordLine has been refinanced and merged with Master Ferries.
The smart,  re-liveried Bergensfjord (1993/16,551gt) will sail to from Norway to Hirshals in Denmark.

Could we see further expansion of their 'empire'?  Could they be coming back to the Tyne?
regards Glencairn :-) :pint:

Re: FJORD LINE
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 12:03:58 PM »

glencairn wrote:
 FjordLine has been refinanced and merged with Master Ferries.
The smart,  re-liveried Bergensfjord (1993/16,551gt) will sail to from Norway to Hirshals in Denmark.

Could we see further expansion of their 'empire'?  Could they be coming back to the Tyne?

Hi David

The expression 'once bitten, twice shy' springs to mimd.
Interestingly enough, the former premises of Fjord Line remains empty with a solitary watchman 24/7 sitting in a cabin outside  :lol:

All joking aside, it would be great to see someone take the route over but in the present economic climate it would be a high risk?

Regards

Bob Scott

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 01:06:59 PM »
I have just returned from Stavanger. Without the Newcastle ferry I had to drive 500 miles to Gothenburg to catch Tor Line's three-sailings-weekly service to Tilbury. Sailing to Tilbury took me to within 22 miles drive from home, instead of 300 from Newcastle but Norwegian roads are a lot slower than the A1 and I needed an overnight stop on the way from Stavanger to Gothenburg.
There were four driver-accompanied vehicles on the sailing; all had come from Norway and at least two of us would have used the Stavanger-Newcastle sailing had it still been available.
I do not know the origins of the unaccompanied trailers on that sailing of "Ark Forwarder" from Gothenburg but there used to be a fair amount of unaccompanied ro-ro freight on the Newcastle route, mostly connected with the offshore oil industry centred in Stavanger. That traffic must still be around somewhere.
The only direct UK-Norway ro-ro freight link (that I know of) is Tor Line's service from Immingham to Kristiansand and Brevik. Kristiansand is about 144 miles from Stavanger, only eight miles of which is motorway.
There are now quite a few disgruntled British oil workers in Stavanger with their own, UK registered cars, who have been "stranded" unless they make a double ferry trip home via Denmark.
I tend to think that the Newcastle-Stavanger link will be reinstated before long but very much doubt if it will ever again be served by a "floating gin palace" like the Queen of Scandinavia. At best, I would guess, it will be a RoPax but is more likely to be a simple, 12-pax RoRo.

Offline David Harrison

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 05:17:45 PM »
Hi Bob

I hear that DFDS Torline are to have the three 'Flower' class ro-ro ferries (they use on their Immingham-Gothenburg route) extended by 30 feet. They say it's because the route shows considerable growth recently!!.
regards Glencairn :-) :pint:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk