Author Topic: US nuclear sub in collision with Turkish Bulk Carrier  (Read 4635 times)

Offline Matt Ruscher

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
US nuclear sub in collision with Turkish Bulk Carrier
« on: September 05, 2005, 11:19:41 PM »
Happened in the Gulf of Mexico, the USS Philadelphia collided with the Turkish panamax bulker Yaso Aysen. Hers the story: http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/local/state/hc-05081037.apds.m0664.bc-ct--gulfsep05,0,7773443.story?coll=hc-headlines-local-wire
PLEASE COMMENT, RATE or better yet Email or IM me to discuss anything about ships, always looking to make new friends and improve my pictures  :-D ......

Offline Glenn Towler

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: US nuclear sub in collision with Turkish Bulk Carrier
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 12:50:24 PM »
I still find it hard to belive that a US Sub with all the latest mickey mouse gadgetery on board can run into another ship.  When aircraft have collison warning systems on them that are alway active so why don't ship and Subs?

Offline JoK

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 11:32:56 PM »
If they can manage to sink a Japanese ship by trying to come to the surface under it, nothing will suprise me.
Too bad they didn't find some of those missing oil rigs down there!

Offline Frank Behling

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 10:31:06 PM »
Please look: http://www.cusnc.navy.mil/Media/Release%20pages/Releases/104-05.htm

It is not clear, that the sub has doing anything wrong!

Offline super

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 01:05:23 AM »
What is absolutely not clear is what happened.

The sub was surfaced and so the international rules for the prevention of collisions at sea should apply.

The interesting thing would be who was give way? and who was stand on? crossing situation or overtaking? etc.

While Military vessels are generally expected to keep to the collision regs they are not bound to by law.

And if you have a collision with a military ship - then do not expect too much joy in a civil court to recover your loss or damages.

Offline Glenn Towler

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2005, 10:19:17 AM »
Reminds me of an incident in 1986 in Hobart involving the Australian Destroyer Perth, that managed to run into the wharf leaving a 3 meter deep gouge in the wharf and shattered weatherboards on the Dockhead Building.  The thing is here the captian had 2 tugs secured to the ship and despite warnings from the Tug Masters and he still had his engines at engaged Ahead.

Plus look at the US Sub that hit the rock of Guam and wrote the front end of it off.  It makes you wonder where these US Sub Skippers, Navigators and Sonar/Radar operators get the qualifications from?  A Breakfast Cerial Box?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk