Author Topic: P&O Ferries New Ships  (Read 4462 times)

Offline zillertal

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
P&O Ferries New Ships
« on: August 08, 2008, 09:25:50 AM »
P&O Ferries have today confirmed that they will replace the 1987 built Pride of Dover and Pride of Calais in 2010 and 2011.  The new ships will be built by Aker in Finland.

More information and artists impression here
-------------------------------------
Hello All, have been a member for some time now but this is my first post.  Excellent website.

Cheers

Paul

Offline Mike

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: P&O Ferries New Ships
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 07:06:31 PM »
Hello Paul-Welcome to the site!
From the artists impression they must have designed and got the funnel the wrong way around, they would have looked a much better ship with a bit of real design thought!
Regards
 :-)
Mike

Archivist for the Colvic Watson Owners Group

Offline Brian Cawkwell

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipais.com/currentmap.php?map=SeahamDocks
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 09:02:47 PM »
I think the funnels are the right way around as the pipes are pointing to the stern, only my 2p worth :lol:

Offline Mike

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 07:51:19 PM »
Cawky wrote:Re: P&O Ferries New Ships
I think the funnels are the right way around as the pipes are pointing to the stern, only my 2p worth

Hi Cawky
Your right the smoke stacks do point astern but just look at the funnel design! the bridge also looks as if it will fall off !
Sorry not as good a  looker as the PO's  'Pride of Hull'
 :-)
Mike

Archivist for the Colvic Watson Owners Group

Offline CedricH

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 12:30:41 PM »
Hi,

there are some "touches" of previous Aker Yards vessels on them too, the funnel looks a lot like the funnel on the Seafrance Rodin and Seafrance Berlioz and the bow visor is also remarkably similar to these two vessels. The bridge and front is also very similar to that of the Amorique and Cotentin of Brittany Ferries.
What will be really interesting is how the interiors will be. Seafrance and Norfolkline both have interiors on their new vessels that surpass all P&O's vessels by far, even the most recent Darwin twins (Pride of Canterbury and Pride of Kent).

Mechanically, these will surpass everything currently on the Channel, certainly in size and capacity. The press release also said that the ships could manoeuvre under their own power in wind speeds of up to 50 knots so no handling trouble like the Norfolkline triplets there.

I think it will be a bit wait and see with the design somehow...
I'll be hapy with enough open deckspace :-D

Regards
Cedric
Photo admin for the Passenger Vessels, RO/RO, Ship Interiors and Vehicle Carriers categories

Offline David Harrison

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 07:00:28 PM »
I agree wth you Cedric, about having wnough open deckspace. I hate the enclosed feeling of modern ferries. I love to feel the sea breeze and not to be always to be in the air-con atmosphere all the time. :pint:
regards Glencairn :-) :pint:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk