Author Topic: DFDS to quit Tyne - Norway.  (Read 24522 times)

Re: DFDS to quit Tyne - Norway.
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2008, 07:10:21 AM »
Hi All

I watched the rather sad sight of the Queen of Scandinavia sail out of the Port of Tyne for the final time last night, destined for lay by in Stavanger with her crew being also laid off. The end of a close link with the QOS which has provided a route to Norway and before that to Ijmuiden.

I was a little surprised to see that she didn't swing off her berth as she would usually do as there was no wind to speak of as she went West of the Tyne to use the Swinging Circle.

She certainly made the most of her departure from a noise perspective, sounding her hooter numerous times, and what a hooter she has!. Top marks to the Tyne Pilot Cutter, Collingwood for coming out of dock to salute the QOS as she passed. I had to laugh when I heard the Collingwood's hooter in comparison to the QOS's.

A little surprised that the Tyne's Tugs did not turn up to pay their respects, but possibly that was a commercial thing.

So she has gone, probably never to return to the Tyne and with a doubtful future but thanks to her for providing us Tyneside Spotters with a magnificent sight as she used to steam in and out of the river  :-)

Regards

Offline David Harrison

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2008, 06:02:58 PM »
Hi Steve

Watching the Toon? You did the right thing being at the Tyne.  

Seriously - It was sad to see QoS for the last time. Having made the journey to Bergen a number of times, even my wife was upset! watching her leave.
regards Glencairn :-) :pint:

Offline Mike

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2008, 06:35:55 PM »
Steve wrote:
I was a little surprised to see that she didn't swing off her berth as she would usually do as there was no wind to speak of as she went West of the Tyne to use the Swinging Circle.

Hi Steve
Not sure where you was standing but the wind was so strong Boudicca decided at the very last minute to take two tugs to pull her off the berth due to 'strong South easterly wind'.
Thats why she was delayed from her scheduled 17.00 departure before the QOS and normaly taking one tug aft.
QOS also give a three long blast on departure as she passed her berth, unfortunatly they were taking down flag bunting as she passed us at Royal Quays so you may not have seen any if you were standing in your normal 'Fish Quay' spot.
Interesting to hear the Captain of Boudicca address the passengers as they left when he said he expected rough weather with winds 4/6,(glad I was not paying for the nights crossing!)
Regards
Mike
 :-)
Mike

Archivist for the Colvic Watson Owners Group

Offline Brian Cawkwell

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipais.com/currentmap.php?map=SeahamDocks
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2008, 06:41:12 PM »
I saw the QOS leave from the beacon pub on the South side of the river,it did not look as if many people were on her .Sad to see her go for the last time .

Has anyone noticed that tha Amsterdam ferry is now leaving at 17.00.

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2008, 08:10:30 PM »
Hi Mike

Outside of the Harbour Masters Office - I couldn't even detect a bit of breeze, so it must be a sheltered spot  :lol:

Really sad to see her go, more so from the perspective of a now out of work crew!

Regards

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2008, 08:12:17 PM »

cawky wrote:
I saw the QOS leave from the beacon pub on the South side of the river,it did not look as if many people were on her .Sad to see her go for the last time .

Has anyone noticed that tha Amsterdam ferry is now leaving at 17.00.

Hi Brian

I got the impression that most of the spectators on her decks were actually crew members - not sure she had any fare paying guests onboard for the crossing to Stavanger ?

Regards

Offline Nigel Meadows

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2008, 11:05:59 PM »
Hello there, I thought Just in case you were interested - Queen travelled on to Stavanger, Haugasund, Bergen with 900+ passengers, she will after discharging in Bergen sail to Kos

Offline Brian Cawkwell

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipais.com/currentmap.php?map=SeahamDocks
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2008, 11:09:54 PM »
Thanks for the information Nigel1701, good info,
did you work on the Queen?

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2008, 05:41:28 AM »
Hi Nigel

Additional information much appreciated:

1. 900 eh - well not a lot of them were out on the deck for the departure!
2. Yes I noticed she came very close into ther berth and at one stage I thought she had changed her mind and wanted to stay!

Regards

Offline Adele

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2008, 09:24:55 PM »
I was on the final inbound sailing from Bergen into Tyne which docked at 15:00 last Friday...and my poor little car was crammed in like a sardine down on the car deck.  492 GBP for the privilege of getting just me and my little Ford Ka back from Norway.  I agree that it is very sad that this route has come to an end after nigh on 150 years - Norway is an amazing country to visit and not being able to hop over from the north of England with the car is a real blow.  I cut short my contract in Norway (which was until mid September) to enable me to bring my car back on QofS at the end of August, something I was very sad to do but the alternatives are too long winded to contemplate for me.  But nearly 500 GBP for 1 person + car with an inside cabin which was not properly clean (not surprising, where's the motivation to care when you are losing your job anyway?) on a dated ship with crazy vehicle loading - I am angry and sad, it didn't exactly go out in style...    

RIP Norway-Tyne...I hope you rise again someday with a finer onboard experience.     :-(

Bob Scott

« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2008, 12:02:57 AM »
Just yesterday I booked a one-way ferry trip from Gothenburg, Sweden to Tilbury for a van (non commercial) and two passengers. The trip is scheduled to take 38 hours, with two nights on-board and all meals and non-alcoholic drinks are included in the fare, which was

Offline Adele

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2008, 01:54:54 PM »
I have, since booking to come back on the final Bergen - Tyne service, become aware of one alternative - but unfortunately it still involves DFDS!!!  That is to take the freight service from Kristiansand to Immingham, which can accommodate some public passengers and their vehicles and has cabins and prices do include meals and drinks (though how many people it can hold is another question).  See here:

http://www.dfdstorline.com/DfdsTorLine/EN/Presentation/Passengers/index.htm
and here:
http://www.dfdstorline.com/DfdsTorLine/EN/Schedules/NorthSea/NorBridge/NorwayUK.htm

I don't know about fares but I imagine it would cost considerably less than the rip off rate I paid for Bergen - Newcastle?

Had I known about it earlier (I admit my shipping knowledge is limited) maybe  I would have taken that option instead - I live in West Yorkshire so still not too bad a journey on this side compared to Harwich or Tilbury, although on the Norwegian side it would've meant a longer drive to get from Nordfjord to Kristiansand rather than Bergen.

Offline Kevin Small Jr.

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2008, 06:03:46 PM »
I have just seen a few pictures of her in Korsor. She still looks amaizing and so do the suroundings. But they have done absolutely done nothing to her! I hope that means she may come back one day! :-D

http://www.ferry-site.dk/ferry.php?id=7911533&lang=en%5B/url%5D
Regards

Kevin  :-D

Offline larsbr

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2008, 09:48:56 AM »
Hi Kevin,
I saw them also last week, strange ther'se no 'shipspotter' around ;)
I'm curious if there are interested buyers..
Lars

Offline Kai R

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2009, 02:17:19 PM »
I just saw a note on Wikipedia that Queen of Scandinavia is to be rebuilt as a temporary workers accomodation at the Forsmark nuclear power plant. Is anybody able to confirm this?

Regards,

Kai

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk