Author Topic: Norwegia Spirit Hits Pier  (Read 1229 times)

Norwegia Spirit Hits Pier
« on: May 26, 2008, 07:25:29 AM »
Hi All

I've just been reading about the Norwegian Spirit having a 'parking problem' at Pier 88, Manhattan, New York USA :

Courtesy of Daily News @ http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2008/05/25/2008-05-25_cruise_ship_strikes_manhattan_pier.html

"In a bumpy end to an otherwise smooth sail, the Norwegian Spirit crashed into a Manhattan pier Sunday as it returned from an eight-day cruise to San Juan and the British Virgin Islands, authorities said.

The 77,000-ton ship struck Pier 88 on the Hudson River around 9:30 a.m. as the mammoth vessel was trying to back into neighboring Pier 90, fire officials said. No one was injured.

"I spent time in the Navy. I know boats," said passenger Eric Francois, 42, of Islip Terrace, L.I., who watched as the ship tore through its metal crash guard.

"We were coming in a little faster than I thought we should be, and we didn't make the turn."

Officials with the city Buildings Department said the accident damaged beams supporting upper-level parking lots, but there was no danger of collapse.

"We were saying, 'He's not going to make the turn. He's not going to make the turn,'" said Edye Besner, 64, of Canada, who was on the observation deck. "It was a wonderful cruise, and now we get to talk about this forever."

There is a photograph of the slight damage to the Ships bow at the above link.

Regards

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk