Author Topic: Kiel Canal  (Read 3886 times)

Offline henrycourt

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Kiel Canal
« on: May 06, 2008, 09:08:34 PM »
I have recently come across a very good site that shows a web-cam of the Kiel Canal. Can anybody kindly tell me the size of the largest ships that can transit the length of this canal ??  Rgds j.w.

Re: Kiel Canal
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 09:16:56 PM »
Hi John

Kiel canal is on my list of places to visit  :lol:

Check out Wikipedia @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiel_Canal scroll down to the link on Operations - There are detailed traffic rules for the canal - this will take you to a pdf of the official Canal Guide which covers dimensions/rules etc. Quite an interesting read!

Regards

henrycourt wrote:
I have recently come across a very good site that shows a web-cam of the Kiel Canal. Can anybody kindly tell me the size of the largest ships that can transit the length of this canal ??  Rgds j.w.

Offline Malte Classens

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 04:52:17 AM »
Hello,
size limitations vary depending on the draft of the vessels as there are still some bends which are not yet extended/widened, especially in the eastern part of the canal. Extension works shall start next year. So actually there are following limitations:
with a draft of max. 9,5m: length 160m and width 27m or length 193m and width 20m
Final limit for ships with a draft of max. only  7,0m: length 235m and a width of max. 32,5m
The dimensions of the new locks are 310m x 42m.
But there are also dimensions in the air draft of max. 40m due to the 10 street and railway bridges which are crossing the canal.
All information taken from the private webpage www.nord-ostsee-kanal-info.de which is unfortunately only in german. If you need any further info, please feel free to contact me.

Best regards,
Malte

Offline henrycourt

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 07:04:01 AM »
Morning Malte, Many thanks for interesting information. it helps a lot when looking at the webcam. How much difference will the alterations make when finished ?? Rgds jw.

Offline Malte Classens

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 08:42:07 AM »
Good morning John,
When these works will be completed, ships with length of 280m and a width of 32,5m will be able to use the Kiel Canal at a maximum draft of 9,5m.
As mentioned above, works shall start next year and they will take minimum 4 years.

Best regards,
Malte

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk