Author Topic: Icebreakers Kept Busy  (Read 18344 times)

Offline Michael Martin

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Icebreakers Kept Busy
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2007, 04:21:17 PM »
In fairness to the Sir Wilfred Grenfel, she's Ice strengthened but is not a true Icebreaker. With her strengthened hull and thrusters she would be okay in loose pack ice of moderate thickness, but from what I'm hearing here, it's much thicker than that. The Grenfel was designed as a offshore supply boat for Newfoundland waters which would give a moderate ice class rating but it isn't the same as for the George R. Pearkes, which itself is only a light icebreaker and probably wouldn't be able to help much.

I'm not sure if anyone here has been aboard an icebreaker or a ship passing through ice, but the sound and vibration through the hull is unmistakable. I was crossing the gulf one time aboard the Caribou and we had to assist the Northern Ranger. It delayed our passage by some 4 or 5 hours, so it's also slow going.

Offline Michael Martin

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2007, 05:08:15 PM »
Just listened to the CBC Newfoundland online and they stated that the Grenfel normally wouldn't get herself in that position but they felt the need to take the chance in order to rescue a crew of a longliner caught in the ice. The crew is safely onboard the Grenfel but she'll need assistance herself now. The coast guard are now looking at flying supplies by helicopter to those vessels stuck in the ice. A situation as bad or worse as it's ever been before.

Offline Steve Geronazzo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pbase.com/steve911/navires (Collection of best photos)
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2007, 05:26:13 PM »
Sounds pretty bad! Here in Quebec, days are getting sunnier and warmer. I hope the same happens in the Newfoundland area.

Steve
Photo administrator for Great Lakes Bulkers and subcategories.

Offline Steve Geronazzo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pbase.com/steve911/navires (Collection of best photos)
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2007, 05:28:52 PM »
Thanks for the information.... keep us updated.

Steve
Photo administrator for Great Lakes Bulkers and subcategories.

Offline Dean Porter

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2007, 06:02:07 PM »
The local news here is reporting (vocm.com) that the crews from the fishing vessels Southern Pride and Labrador Current are on the ice off Reb Bay, Labrador after heavy ice forced their vessels out of the water, the Des Groseilliers is enroute to that area.
The coast Guard is also assisting there own vesel, the Sir Wilfred Grenfell is stuck in ice in Hamilton Sound after it responed to a search and rescue incident, the George R. Pearkes is enroute to assist her.

Offline Les bateaux du Qu

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://cf.groups.yahoo.com/group/bateauxquebec/
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2007, 09:31:26 PM »
Why the coast-guard doesn't call for their heavier ice breaker to help for the situation in newfoundland? Seem that the St-Laurent and the Terry Fox didn't get much job this winter, might be good for them to se a little action before the season is over.
Does anyone have link, info or picture of all these news?

Offline mooringman

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2007, 09:46:54 PM »
i'm just wondering,why there are so many vessels  in difficulties.there was a warning of heavy ice pressure for the North East coast of Nfld.with NE'ly or E'ly wind is that normal and a shipper should know it and avoid the area.it might be,that seal killing is so important,that the shippers don't listen to the weather forecast.

Offline Dean Porter

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2007, 11:30:12 PM »
These are men who depend on the sea for a living. Its inportant because its a way to make a living and to make a bit of extra money  to get through a cold winter. The sea has provided a living in Newfoundland for many years and continues to do so.
When they issued a warning of ice pressure, many of these boats may have been on the way in, but having said that it was reported that the ice closed in really fast trapping a lot of these boats.

Offline Kier Shackleton Gigeroff

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://Website under construction on CCG vessels
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2007, 11:57:14 PM »
The CCGS Sir Wilfred Grenfell is according to the coast guard website (ccg) an offshore patrol vessel. The Terry and Louis are here in Dartmouth, so perhaps the response time would be too slow?
The St-Laurent has been here for such a long time, I do think it could use some action. I just should note that today looking at the Louis S. St-Laurent they are putting fuel in. Maybe they will go?

Kier

Offline Dean Porter

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2007, 10:00:37 AM »
Thanks Kier, let me know if the Louis S St. Laurent leaves.

Thanks
Dean

Offline Barry Dewling

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • Newfoundland Shipping News
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2007, 01:59:49 PM »
The ice has not been this bad in 20 years, as Dean stated this is a way of life for the people of Newfoundland. And to comment on mooringman's post, we pefer the term "Seal Harvest" but I wont start that arguement here.

Offline mooringman

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2007, 02:38:29 AM »
hi,i'm still wondering what is going on there in the ice.i saw some bad pictures in german tv from the fishing vessels closed in ice pressure.they said,even an icebreaker has problems.somebody has made a wrong decission,this should not happen for an experienced shipper.i know,from what i'm talking about,i had my first ice experience in that area,later in the baltic sea.about the seals i discuss always with my wife,she is a newfie....i hope nobody will loss the life or his vessel.brgds mooringman

Offline Michael Martin

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2007, 02:53:23 AM »
Well, mooringman, if you know about the area then you should be aware that ice packs the coves and inlets EVERY year and fishermen have been (on the most part) able to navigate through it. However, this year the ice is particularly heavy and thick. Also, the weather hasn't been cooperating to help clear away some ice, to loosen the pressure.

I remember a few similar occasions over the years when excessive ice filled the bays in the spring. While I feel these flucuations are mostly cyclical and periodical,I'm wondering if this isn't just another little tap on our shoulders about the effects of global warming. There have been reports of a milder than usual winter in the Artic, combined with larger than usual breakoffs from the polar ice cap.

Offline Dean Porter

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2007, 11:29:36 AM »
There maybe some good news today, the wind is suppose to change today. The Coast guard in Newfoundland has requested help from the Maritimes region to help. There are about 100 fishing boats stuck in ice.

Offline mooringman

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2007, 12:59:38 PM »
thats what i thought too,the global warming makes more  ice come down the coast this year,but it was in earlier years sometimes the same.i remember in the late 70thies and early 80thies we had problem with our ocean vessels there.i think the problem is the wind direction,but they said something abt.SW'ly and later NW'ly winds in the forecast.that will ease the pressure of the ice.i just saw some pictures again in tv and a lot of shippers are not in a good situation in the moment.but matter of fact is,we have a global warming and there are some politicans ,who don't realize that at all.brgds mooringman

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk