Author Topic: Repubblica di Genova capsized  (Read 42022 times)

Offline rgr004

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Repubblica di Genova capsized
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2007, 01:14:47 PM »
Let

Offline roostes

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2007, 01:23:35 PM »
Yep, Roland, she was safely moored...but I would say, unfortunately, in Antwerpen/with such quantities of bunker, oil, fresh'n ballast water, etc. liquids / filled cargo areas-holds / state of remaining stability.
pls do not misinterpretate me again- these are just reasons, due to which the vessel could capsize:
- reaching the hub(Antwerpen), they also planning bunkering for entire loop, i.e. not very much of bunkers were left. ex. Cougar Ace - ran on nearly vapours of hfo, little miscalculation during bw exchange before USA, and she rolled over!
- loading and discharging sequence/order vs. ballasting/deballasting.
- she has cargo gear as well - booming out could have caused some additional list.

Among above statements could be the answer to cause of this accident...or could not.

rgds

roostes

Offline frederik

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.havenarbeiders.be/forum
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2007, 06:44:40 PM »
Hi fellow shipspotters,

According to a Grimaldi Lines-spokesman the Repubblica di Genova came from the drydock in Lisbon (Portugal) where she had an inspection. The problems started on Wednesday and around 5am (local time) on Thursday the situation became critical. Around 6.30am she capsized.
According to Grimaldi Lines the contract for the salvage will be assigned next week.

greetz,

frederik
Proud to be a Belgian docker!

Offline roostes

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2007, 10:23:49 PM »
can't wait for more details of this inspection held in Lisbon.

rgds

roostes

Offline rgr004

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2007, 11:24:16 PM »
This is definitively not a sudden accident if 24 hours elapsed before she finally rolled over.

It is clear that she had been in dry dock recently, her bottom paint looks immaculate.

With regards to salvage operation, trust it can already be considered as a wreck removal.

Cannot recall any similar case where a large RORO was recovered in one piece. Tricolor in the English Channel, Rejin near Porto, or at smaller scale Mont Louis near Zeebrugge werre all cut into sections. Same is to happen to Rokia Delmas off La rochelle (France).  

Roland

Offline roostes

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2007, 09:51:50 AM »
it seems so, she lies firmly on the/against bottom, huge quarter ramp open - most of the compartments filled with water(not likely the buoancy can be restored in this position). Let's wait.

roostes

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2007, 11:51:35 AM »
I have edited roostes original comment re. Italian meals, and a couple of the subsequent replies. I hope nobody minds but these were best buried.

Rgds
'Shipimages'

Offline texasrv

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2007, 08:19:25 PM »
Hi
The vessel does not have any cargo gear and so the problem was not caused by moving weight from the quay to the vessel by crane or derrick.
I see a report that says the vessel started listing the night before and despite efforts it could not be corrected and eventually it capsised. This would explain why no-one was killed. They disembarked everyone because they had plenty of time.
For a good example of how things can go badly wrong during loading cargo by derricks search for mv STELLAMARE at Port of Albany in December 2003

Offline texasrv

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2007, 08:22:56 PM »
Hi
We don't know if the stern ramp is open or not. Even so the car decks will be flooded.

Offline portagent

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?uid=3218
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2007, 08:33:55 PM »
... no cargo gear ??

see  here
dead slow ahead !  :-)
best regards, Klaus

Offline texasrv

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2007, 03:33:29 PM »
Whoops my mistake. But I meant cargo gear capable of lifting something (heavy) that might have caused the capsize. The deck cranes surely can't lift much over 10-20 tonnes?

Offline rgr004

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2007, 06:22:49 PM »
10-20 tons ship

Offline texasrv

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2007, 08:14:54 PM »
I would guess that most times the vessel is loading/discharging containers off the deck with shore cranes. I don't beleive she normally uses the deck cranes for very much and the weight / reach must be restricted.. maybe someone knows the crane capacity. Anyhow I don't beleive the incident is related to cranes at all ;-)

Offline Charles McAllister

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2007, 03:49:53 AM »
A very unique incident.  MV Stellamare capsized in Port of Albany, NY, USA while loading a few pieces of ultra heavy cargo, large electrical generators weighing thousands of tons.  What is both strange and fortunate about this is the fact that it was inexorable but slow, so at least there was ample time to evacuate the ship and no casualties.  The report from Grimaldi that a series of well documented procedures for counteracting heeling were attempted but failed to stop the listing suggests a failure of pump or valve (equipment) in the autostabilizing system, or a possible control system failure, such as indicator reading opposite of true, as in "valve closed" when the valve is open.  The investigation will, hopefully, find the true cause, and measures will be taken to prevent a repeat.  Again, very fortunate to have no casualties from such a major event.
Best,

Charles

Offline Sy-

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2007, 11:25:45 AM »

by texasrv on 2007/3/11 10:33:29

Whoops my mistake. But I meant cargo gear capable of lifting something (heavy) that might have caused the capsize. The deck cranes surely can't lift much over 10-20 tonnes?

The deck cranes will be used when the vessel is in West Africa for container ops as many ports there don't have shore cranes, the cranes will most likely be able to lift somewhere between 35-45 tonnes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk