Author Topic: Most beautyfull cruiseship in service!  (Read 29509 times)

Offline brunoh

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Most beautyfull cruiseship in service!
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2006, 07:26:08 AM »
Hello,
I'm quite new to this forum, and found this topic excellent. As many ship lovers, I cry when I see what is generally coming out of the yards now...
Few exceptions are for me Oriana (already a bit old!), Disney Magic (don't laugh, it had some nice and elegant lines, if you don't look at the mickey mouse stuff!) and Queen Mary2: it is huge, but they managed to keep it sleek, looking like a liner. (The fact that I worked on it during its building time is not relevant!)
Maybe a final preference for Saga Ruby, as other posters.
Those days of "nice" ships are gone, welcome to the boxes :-?  :-(
Cheers,
Bruno

Offline Frank Pawlowski

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2006, 11:29:25 AM »
Hello I am new to the forum.

Of the large older Passenger ships I am in the QE2 camp I think that she is still good looking ship. Of the smaller older vessels, what about the original three Royal Viking Line sisters, the Royal Viking Star, Royal Viking Sea and the Royal Viking Sky. When they were built in the early 1970's they were  very sleek and modern looking and all three of them are still cruising today so they must have something going for them.

P.S. I am a little bias as I was working onboard the Royal Viking Star for 3 years 1973/6.

Cheers Frank  
   :-)

Offline Artman

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • http://www.harley-crossley-studio.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2007, 11:03:03 AM »
I think it has to be Saga Ruby rather than Saga Rose, Rose is spoilt by the deck added above the bridge

Offline Pascal

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2007, 11:40:22 AM »
I think it's not completely fair to compare the older vessels (originally built as liners, not cruise vessels, like QE2, Sagafjord/rose...) and the latest newbuilts which often look like appartment blocks.
Of course old ships almost always have a better look, but I can't help thinking they don't play in the same category.
However, I think true beauties can be found amongst recently built ships. My favorites are the two P&O near sisters Oriana and Aurora : IMHO, they demonstrate very well that it's possible to design very elegant looking modern large vessels. The renderings of the new Oceania ships show as well a very well balanced and beautifull design. I can't wait to see them completed ! :-)

Offline Stephen Lee

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2007, 01:27:58 PM »
Hi
Ilike the old  style ships The saga sisters a very fine ladies good lines
I agree with Pascal on the new builds floating tower blocks
you see the new cruiships, the cruise company will boast it can carry 2 thousand passengers. What the passengers forget, is they all want to get off at the same time even funnier when its by tender.
REGARDS Stephen  :pint:
8-)

Offline Charles McAllister

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2007, 04:58:37 PM »
I am partial to the older ships; beauty and grace of lines were part of the package then.  Sagafjord and Vistafjord, now the Saga sisters, are probably the best.  Another one is Song of Norway, now Dream Princess. This is somewhat unique, in that she has become even better looking with age. She came into her beauty only after RCL's lengthening improved her proportions.  Now as Dream Princess she looks, I think, her best ever.  Losing the lounge on the stack helped her lines, and now the dark hull adds to her appearance.

With a few exception mentioned by others already, too many of the newbuilds look like boxes with a pointy end welded on; more like car carriers with lots of windows and balconies.  RCCL's latest, the 158,000 ton Freedom class, look boxy because of so many decks crammed on, but I am impressed by the sheer line.  It really is nice, and with 2 fewer decks, those ships would be truly beautiful.
Best,

Charles

Offline Tomas

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?cid=&uid=3166&orderby=hitsD
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2007, 10:00:57 PM »
Is it possible to say this one?
Lofoten!
I really like this one.
Tomas, the true oldtimer

Offline CedricH

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2007, 05:21:28 PM »
Hi,

I agree that the QE 2 is certainly the most elegant, sleek and stylish vessel arround in service today.
She dates from a time where the number of passengers and facilities weren't that important.

QM 2 is very nice vessel but she's a bit too tall I think

If I'd had to choose from realy modern cruise vessels, I'd choose the Arcadia of P&O Cruises.
She's a very elegant vessel and she hasn't god all those design stuff like big glass windows and so on.

Regards
Cedric
Photo admin for the Passenger Vessels, RO/RO, Ship Interiors and Vehicle Carriers categories

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2007, 12:35:36 PM »
Tomas,
As always, you have good taste
Grtz
Guido

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2007, 09:19:12 AM »
专业流水线制造商,您身边的流水线制造专家

Offline Nathan

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2007, 10:13:10 AM »
Probably some of the Royal Carribean Cruise Lines Fleet, like the voyager of the seas.

Offline arrynorm

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2007, 02:03:11 PM »
Hi Charmtug,
Have you something you can post to show Dream Princess. A quick search here didn't come up with her. Nothing came up on shipsnostalgia.com either.

Rob

Offline Bj

• Supporter
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2007, 05:22:01 PM »
Hello
Take a look here:http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/RCI_SongOfNorwayPCs.html#anchor336507
Rgds

Offline Clive Harvey

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2009, 11:00:50 PM »
ARTEMIS? The most beautiful cruise ship in service?
Well, this just goes to prove that beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder.
Long ago, I saw this ship depart Southampton on her maiden voyage as Royal Princess. I thought that she was ugly then and each time I saw her afterward I still thought she was an ugly and awkward-looking vessel. A lot of time has passed and a lot of other ugly vessels have followed her into service but nevertheless, she was ugly and awkward-looking on day one and she remains so all these years later in my eyes. I certainly won't mourn her passing when she is sold to the ship breakers.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk