Author Topic: Nord Star in trouble off Western Scotland  (Read 4323 times)

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Nord Star in trouble off Western Scotland
« on: November 10, 2005, 09:33:46 AM »
The 460-gt coaster Nord Star (built 1978) ran aground off the western coast of Scotland Wednesday, but was later able to refloat itself.

The UK Maritime & Coastguard Agency confirmed that the 40-metre coaster had gone aground at Lochaline in the Sound of Mull at 18:16GMT.

The British registered ship, which was carrying a cargo of salt and had four crew, was reported aground by a Caledonian MacBrayne ferry.

The Clyde Coastguard sent the Lochaline Coastguard Rescue team and requested the launch of the Tobermory RNLI all weather lifeboat to the scene.

Re: Nord Star in trouble off Western Scotland
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 03:26:02 PM »
link to photo of Nord Star in coasters pages

I had this photo looked out to scan anyway so i've put it up to link in with this incident. Only another 1000+ photo's to sort thru and scan  :-( lol

Davie Tait

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 04:01:14 PM »
She looks a bit different from her days as a Crescent ship, with the large excavator on deck and additional wheelhouse for visibility.

Cheers
Phil

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 04:35:28 PM »
I think the excavator was onboard because she was shipping hardcore gravel for Orkney Islands roads dept ( might be wrong but thats what my memory of her is anyway ). I've seen her in Fraserburgh a few times if I get a chance to get a clearer photo I will.
I took this photo with a cheap pocket 35mm zoom camera as i'd left my EOS at the holiday home we were staying in. I've got a lot of good shots of the Islands ferries with some cruise liners that were taken on the EOS and on a 6x6 I had at the time they'll be going up as soon as I manage to scan them.

Davie Tait

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 04:44:10 PM »
I look forward to seeing them Davie,

Phil (with around 500 photos left to scan!)

Offline Angus M. Macleod

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 11:08:12 PM »
Vessel was taken back to Corpach following her grounding.  She was towed from there to Buckie last week by JP Knight's tug Kincraig.

Offline Richie2012

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 08:29:47 PM »
Nord Star is currently up for sale for

Offline ally1903

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2006, 07:47:51 PM »
This boat is up on the slip at Buckie shipyards at the moment, looks to be getting an overhaul and paint.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk