Author Topic: Marine Traffic revamp  (Read 4094 times)

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
Re: Marine Traffic revamp
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2023, 10:19:45 AM »
This would be an excellent opportunity to switch to ShipXplorer, which will have be the best quality pictures, i.e. the ones shown on www.Shipspotting.com...

Offline Brett Moore

• Just can't stay away
  • Duncan Dock, Table Bay Harbour, Cape Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2023, 10:51:12 AM »
Thanks Pieter, I have just checked it out and it's great, Thank You !

Offline csaba

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2023, 09:57:47 PM »
Does the ShipXplorer site work well? I tried to register but never received a confirmation e-mail ( I checked my spam folder too). Also, when I enter a ship's name or IMO the answer is always that they can't find such ship/IMO.

Offline Brett Moore

• Just can't stay away
  • Duncan Dock, Table Bay Harbour, Cape Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2023, 07:19:25 AM »
I can't say it works well as it does not display all vessels in range like the other traffic sites :(

Offline Richard Paton

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2023, 05:41:57 PM »
Does anyone think MT will pay any attention to the less than enthusiastic comments regarding they're update?

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2023, 06:52:00 PM »
Does anyone think MT will pay any attention to the less than enthusiastic comments regarding they're update?

I don't think so, they were not so long taken over by a company (Kpler) that has a much wider scope, an they want to put their stamp on this change. In their announcement they are stating that with the take over of Marine Traffic, they might be able to achieve what we always called the holy grail of maritime economics, i.c. directly linking ship movements to cargo movements.   

Offline Niall Magner

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/njm05
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2023, 07:40:33 PM »
I bet they will make it a fully subscription service only soon.

Offline andrecas

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2023, 07:48:25 PM »
MarineTraffic app pretty much a "business" app. More on Kpler recent acquisition below link...
https://www.kpler.com/blog/designing-the-new-marinetraffic-app

Offline Pieter_Inpijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2023, 12:44:17 PM »
Who is this KPLER firm? Never heard of them before. The Fleetmon-website has been sold to them as well, their logo is now: Fleetmon from KPLER. I received an e-mail a few months ago about a merger of Fleetmon and MarineTraffic and Fleetmon will no longer exist after december 2023. Also I received as member of Fleetmon a new fresh MarineTraffic account. And today in Fleetmon this message: Due to our merger with MarineTraffic, we are preparing to migrate all your marvelous photos from the FleetMon website into the MarineTraffic platform. To avoid losing your precious work, we have to suspend the upload functionality here. So the end is close for Fleetmon.

Offline Stefanie82

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2023, 11:45:24 AM »
Hello, all of you.
Just started to read your posts and ask myself why you think the new design is a step back.
- Search bar is now placed at the top and in the center, making it easier to search for ships, ports, and other assets.
- The menu bar has been moved to the left side of the screen, making it more logical.
- The color palette has changed from a bright blue to a more subdued grey.
Looking for your comments.

Offline Anthony Legg

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2023, 01:43:36 AM »
Are you an employee of Marine Traffic? Joined yesterday and first post is in support of some changes which many, myself included, do not find as friendly as the previous version. Of course you are entitled to your view but maybe you should identify your association with our interest in international ship spotting so we can all understand your point of view.

Offline csaba

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2023, 03:13:33 AM »
If you read the comments you just might get it.

Offline Cisco

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2023, 07:14:06 AM »
The new layout doesn't bother me - like all change you get used to it.
My only complaint is that I am only getting a 3/4 page view . They want money before I can have 'full page' back. Bad luck them.

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2023, 06:19:10 PM »
I made a complaint that the white sea does not show the finger piers any (as used in the Europoort). You cannot see whether a ship is moored east or west of a jetty, which is important for the time you want to take a shot of her.
I got a polite message back that my complaint had been addressed and that the problem was solved.
Next thing I did was checking, no difference...no solution
About three to fours our later I received one one those message that ask you what your thoughts are about the follow given by MT.
I replied that I was 100% dissatisfied as the problem was not solved.

Since then I heard nothing and nothing has changed. 

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2023, 02:38:24 PM »
Developments of a disquieting nature.*

They've changed the photo uploading page. Even as they still only allow photo uploading one by one, there is no more possibility to keep the data by clicking "Back" and keep uploading other photos. The worst thing is that the map to mark the position of the photo resets to zero after every upload, and the map itself has lost the satellite view option, as if they don't care about the exact spot of the photo.

There's also no more option to write an description/comment to the photo, again, as if they don't care about this information.

* Stephen King, "Jerusalem's Lot"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk