Author Topic: Forth Tugs  (Read 528 times)

Offline [email protected]

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
Forth Tugs
« on: March 04, 2022, 01:37:16 PM »
Dear Shipmates:

Anyone ex Forth Tugs or with a knowledge of?

I am particularly interested in Tugs built by Henry Robb:- Boquhan and Duchray and their work at Hound Point.   I have all the Lloyds Register details but would like to find out about their operations.

I had a pint with Eddie McGinnis, ex Forth Tugs, in the 1990s - anyone in contact with Eddie?.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Mervyn

Southampton

Offline mikedavies43

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Forth Tugs
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2022, 06:25:48 PM »
Mervyn

I used to have a photo permit for Leith Docks, and on my visits 2 or 3 times a year between 1983 and 1993 would usually see the tugs in the Victoria Dock within Leith Docks - the Forth Tugs vessels were supplemented by Irish firefighting tug BRANDON BAY in February 1985 while BOQUHAN was refitting at Grangemouth. 

When tankers were being brought alongside at Hound Point all four tugs were used, with the firefighting ones tied alongside with their masts poking above deck level. I have photos of this, but not up to Shipspotting standards...

If there was a tanker at Hound Point, one of the tugs would be based at the buoys there on standby. I saw both firefighting and non-firefighting tugs in this role.

The tugs were drydocked in Grangemouth or Leith.

By 2016, when I started paying attention to ships again, the Hound Point tugs of Targe Towing were always moored to buoys between Hound Point and the railway bridge.

Mike

Offline [email protected]

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
Re: Forth Tugs
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2022, 11:37:19 PM »
Many thanks for this, Mike; it helps me to build a picture of what went on at Hound Point.

Best Regards,

Mervyn

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk