Author Topic: Problem - taking pictures of ships.  (Read 750 times)

Offline Tony2002

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Problem - taking pictures of ships.
« on: December 15, 2021, 03:14:03 PM »
Hello.

(if there's a already open topic like this, admins feel free to delete this one.)

I have a question - is it legal to post pictures of ships in port? I was outside today and wanted to take some shots when some woman told me I can get behind bars for taking a photo...is that true or am I just too naive? I really find this hobby nice and it'd be a shame if I got jailed up for taking some photos...
Thanks in advance,

Tony

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Problem - taking pictures of ships.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2021, 03:41:27 PM »
Hi Tony2002 ...this topic was covered some years ago on Shipspotting.
Link http://forum.shipspotting.com/index.php?topic=14146.msg75193

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2021, 03:50:34 PM »
from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photography_and_the_law#:~:text=In%20the%20United%20Kingdom%20there%20are%20no%20laws,film%20or%20photograph%20in%20public%20places%20and%20

in summary it says .. In the United Kingdom there are no laws forbidding photography of private property from a public place.[5] Photography is not restricted on land if the landowner has given permission to be on the land or the photographer has legal right to access, for example Byways Open to All Traffic or a public right of way or an area of open access land. The Metropolitan Police state in their own advice "Members of the public and the media do not need a permit to film or photograph in public places and police have no power to stop them filming or photographing incidents or police personnel". The IAC, Film and Video Institute recommends that one follows instruction given by police as there may be a reason/reasons for not filming, ignorance of said law(s) notwithstanding.[6] An exception is an area that has prohibitions detailed within anti terrorism legislation. Civil proceeding can be taken if a person is filmed without consent, and privacy laws exist to protect a person where they can expect privacy.[7][8] Two public locations in the UK, Trafalgar Square and Parliament Square, have a specific provision against photography for commercial purposes without the written permission of the Mayor[9][10] or the Squares' Management Team and paying a fee,[11] and permission is needed to photograph or film for commercial purposes in the Royal Parks[12] or on any National Trust land.[13]

Print relevant wording and keep a copy in your pocket to challenge the "jobsworth"
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 03:52:32 PM by ChasB46 »

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2021, 10:48:11 PM »
Tony
The position in the UK is indeed as already answered.
But you do not say where you are!  Or what kind of port.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk