Author Topic: Sea-Land/CSX/Maersk  (Read 2506 times)

Offline Leon de Hoop

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Sea-Land/CSX/Maersk
« on: February 12, 2017, 06:46:18 PM »
Good Evening,

I have a question for our American members.

In 1999 Maersk acquired Sea-Land from CSX and in 2003 CSX was sold to Horizon Lines.

My question is;

The ships that were present in the fleet dec-1999 were they all transferred to A.P. Moller or did some vessels stayed with CSX.
The reason is that according to Sea-Web not all the vessels from Sea-Land were owned by Maersk.

Wich I'm also interested in is the charters at that time, were they all ended or did they continue.

Best regards

Leon

Offline jadran

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Re: Sea-Land/CSX/Maersk
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 07:09:17 PM »

Leon,, I will try to answer only one part of your set queries,, in this way, as simple as I can:
In 1999 the Sea Land Services Inc MOTOR SHIPS were transferred to Maersk whilst the TURBINE SHIPS remained with CSX later Horizon Lines;
This is just a brief reply,, best regards,
Jadran

... got married to ships

Offline Leon de Hoop

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 07:17:13 PM »
Hi Jadran,

That already clears already a lot for me.
I could not find it somewhere.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers

Leon

Offline MO Roy

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 11:22:28 PM »
Jadran you're more or less right, but that's because the Jones-act US-flagged vessels from Sea-Land were all with a steam turbine, so all those went to CSX. The ones on international trades, non Jones-act, were taken over by Maersk.
Now later on CSX, or actually Horizon, had some motor-ship (Hyundai Mipo built) charter container ships on non Jones Act trades.

Regarding the charters at the time of take-over, most of them were ended soon but Maersk took over some charters, for various amount of time.

Cheers,
Roy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk