Author Topic: Brooklyn, New York, USA Cruise Terminal Opens Today  (Read 3877 times)

Offline Magogman

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://magogman.blogspot.com
Brooklyn, New York, USA Cruise Terminal Opens Today
« on: April 15, 2006, 03:45:18 PM »
The new Brooklyn, NY Cruise Terminal opens today with the arrival of the Queen Mary 2.  No longer will cruise ships arrive in the heart of New York City.  New York City's answer to the outmoded facilities on Manhatten's Upper West Side and a flight of cruise ships to Bayonne, NJ, the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal is a $150 million development of old Pier 12 in Brooklyn where coffee ships once tied up.
While developers have recently "discovered" the Red Hook area of Brooklyn, it remains a neighborhood with no amenities for tourists and cruise passengers and will be, at least for the time being, only a place for arrivals and departures.

Further details may be obtained at
www.brooklynbcruiseguide.com
My blog with narrative and more photos is located at:
http://magogman.blogspot.com

read the introduction and also there are about 5 different blogs of ships and railroads

Offline Tom Turner

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://Seateamimages.com
Re: Brooklyn, New York, USA Cruise Terminal Opens Today
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 06:30:36 AM »
Thanks for posting.

Saw QM2 leave the harbor Saturday afternoon.

The text is insteresting for several reasons. QM2 actually docked there last year although due to the official opening of the terminal, the media is making it sound as though this weekend would've been the first time.

Also, if I understand correctly, Manhattan Passenger Ship Terminal will remain active - servicing the lines that to not go to either Red Hook, Brooklyn or Bayonne, New Jersey.

Have to agree Red Hook might not be the place for tourists, but certainly Bayonne does not offer anything  either beyond convenience for some.

Tom
Seateamimages.com

Offline Finn Tornquist

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 03:17:17 AM »
I have posted a number of photos I took on Sunday in Brooklyn. I mention this is QM2's first visit there. Sorry I did not know she has been there before. But I guess this is now official and from now on this will be her American home.

Being a New Jerseyite I had thought getting to the terminal would have been difficult (I hate the NYC highways) but it went surprisingly well. Of course the terminal itself is as secure as a naval base, but the side streets to the west of the port offered some very nice spotting spots (with police all over the place). And the Valentino Pier Park which faces out to the harbor was an excellent place to take pix.

Still, for the pax, they will miss the traditional glide down the Hudson. You can't beat that sight anywhere!

Being a Norwegian-American and having immigrated to the USA in 1954 on the old N.A.L. "Stavangerfjord", I do recall that before the N.A.L. moved to Manhattan's piers 42 and 45, they docked I think somewhere near the new Red Hook terminal.

Finn

Offline Magogman

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://magogman.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 05:48:07 AM »
Thanks for the info in your note and especially the photos you posted -- they really give one a sense of feel for the new terminal and the area around it.  Strikes me as kind of similar to parking a luxury car in the alley behind the house so noone can see it to admire it.

How does a good Norwegian get the name of Finn?

Thanks for your posts!
My blog with narrative and more photos is located at:
http://magogman.blogspot.com

read the introduction and also there are about 5 different blogs of ships and railroads

Offline Finn Tornquist

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 10:18:42 AM »
"Finn" is often Irish but the origen is Viking. A fairly common name in Scandinavia.

Will

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 01:03:02 AM »
I agree Finn...missing the trip up the Hudson is a loss.  Unfortunately, the NYC terminals have not been updated with the times (until Royal Caribbean moved to NJ).  From what I am reading, the terminals in Manhattan will be renovated, subusidized by NCL, and probably be the full time berths for Norwegian Dawn and Spirit.

Offline David Harrison

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 02:43:42 PM »
As a regular 'tripper' over the 'pond' it's a taxi over Brooklyn Bridge from now on.
I'll miss the journey down the Hudson!! :-(
regards Glencairn :-) :pint:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk