Shipspotters all over the world > Consultations and review of site standards

Category standards: Harbour overview

(1/4) > >>

davidships:
The standard currently reads:

--- Quote ---A. The photo must demonstrate the characteristics of a harbour, for example a comprehensive overview with clearly visible features, occupied/unoccupied berths, or loading/unloading facilities.

B. Distant views and shots where harbour features are a small part of the image may be considered for deletion. Members should understand the limitations of their camera.
General standards such as sharpness, level horizon and obstructions apply to this category, but clearly not those related to individual ships themselves.
--- End quote ---

Please add your views on this topic below, before 13 November 2015.

Pier Master:
Having 'reviewed' over 10,000 harbour photos, and having amended the title fields to most of them to show the port/harbour image instead of 'A busy day' or 'A bright morning' or 'Cranes' etc,   the current standards...

http://www.shipspotting.com/support/faq.php?category=Harbour%20overview%20images#138
http://www.shipspotting.com/support/faq.php?category=Harbour%20overview%20images#139

are still very good. So, I am more than happy to keep the existing standards.

Regards, Brian AKA the Pier Master

Phil English:
I agree that the current category standard is worded fine. However, it does not seem to stop many people using 'harbour overviews' as a dumping ground for any old rubbish which doesn't meet any other category or site standard. I'd go as far as to say that I'd like to see this category binned completely but that is just my personal viewpoint.

Brgds
Phil

Pier Master:
I think binning the entire category is a bit harsh as there are some very good photographs in it. It just needs trimming a bit...

Regards, Brian.

davidships:
I have re-opened this subject as there is periodic dissatisfaction amongst some members over the nature of both some inclusions and some deletions. It is now over five years since the previous consultation of members.  Perhaps on this occasion those members who have views about what this category should cover and what should be excluded will actually express those opinions.

Here are the current requirement:
http://www.shipspotting.com/support/faq.php?category=Harbour%20Overview%20Images

It is not my intention to close the category.  But a free-for-all is also not acceptable.
By way of explanation, my approach has been to consider images in the light of these considerations:

* Harbour Overview is the title. "Overview" implies a wide view of at least part of a harbour or port, not close-ups of an individual berth or piece of equipment
* The photo should intentionally illustrate the port itself, not focus on an individual ship (and not just a place to put ship images that fail other site standards)
* the specific exclusions in the guidance linked above
It seems that one way or another the current guidance needs to be recast so that it gives more focused guidance to photographers and provides clearer basis for Admin to review uploads.  So, concrete suggestions please (rather than just negative comments about other people's opinions).  I will take stock of discussion after a few weeks and then draw up proposals to review with Admin colleagues.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version