Author Topic: CHAULK TENACITY (IMO 8819732)  (Read 4208 times)

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
CHAULK TENACITY (IMO 8819732)
« on: October 12, 2015, 11:31:47 AM »
Hi,

Does anyone know the whereabouts of this vessel? Marinetraffic has a position dated July 2015, showing that she's in the Lake Ontario area of Canada, which would be logical given her Canadian ownership. However, other AIS systems claim that she's not moved from Swansea, where she had been for a number of years after a failed conversion and subsequent legal wrangle.

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Phil

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: CHAULK TENACITY (IMO 8819732)
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 12:33:32 PM »
Phil: The ship you are looking for does not appear on ABP's "Live Shipping" but it did the last time I was down Mumbles way!!. It still, however, show the ships that went into Swansea for  scrapping so my guess would be that your ship is indeed back in Canada.

Bob

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 01:12:35 PM »
Thanks Bob - I wonder if any of our Welsh members can confirm that she has indeed left Swansea.

Brgds
Phil

Offline Monkstone Light

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 05:38:50 PM »
I can confirm that the CHAULK TENACITY is still berthed at Swansea Docks. She is currently moored at the former Palmers repair berth at the Southern end of the Queens Dock and is visible on Google Earth. She is unable to sail as the vessel is still missing her rudder and does not have any hatch covers fitted. Some scaffolding is still visible around one of her deck cranes. The legal argument is apparently very complex involving Canadian, American and British lawyers. I understand that the former Palmers repair berth where the vessel is currently berthed is now operated by the Swansea Dry Dock Company.

The vessel has now been at Swansea for over five years.

Offline Monkstone Light

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 10:55:21 PM »
Phil,
Further to my last reply. The vessel does show as VISTEN on the ABP web site which was her previous name before becoming CHAULK TENACITY. The vessel was moved to her current berth during December 2013 prior to that she was lying at B Shed in the Kings Dock for over a year. The conversion work from chemical tanker to dry cargo vessel was being undertaken by Harris Pye, however, they no longer operate from the dry docks at Swansea which I think has complicated matters further. Who knows perhaps the vessel may well eventually end up being "recycled" by the current owners of the dry dock facilities, stranger things have happened.

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 08:28:26 AM »
"Monkstone light", thank you very much for that update, it's most helpful.

Brgds
Phil

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk