Author Topic: Will not contribute any further photographs  (Read 33383 times)

Offline dirk septer

• Home away from home
  • Navigare necesse est
    • View Profile
Re: Will not contribute any further photographs
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2015, 03:03:13 PM »
To the member (for now I will not mention your name) who sent me the "Good Riddance"
message and calls my photos "amateurish" at least be man enough and share your views
with all other members here:

Quote:

"If that's your attitude, good riddance. Find somewhere else to post your amateurish
photos....
Do us a favour and don't hang around too long."

Well, don't worry... I certainly won't.

Dirk

Offline echobow

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2015, 03:52:18 PM »
I think there is no need to stage a mudslinging after what has been up to know a constructive exchange talk between members, photo admins and webmasters. Some members around here take up a lot of space to explain their personal point of view towards things which dissatisfy them either in the way deletions are handled or how this site appears in general. I think that's in general the main purpose of site related topics in this forum.

However, there is, as I said before, no need to post unfair remarks concerning the way this Website is run by the new Webmaster squad, since from the way they contribute to this discussion, it seems - at least for me - that there are some real intentions to simplify and to enhance Shipspotting. In this point, I go with Simonwp who noted that this site is not a professional one and therefore only benefits from commitment and not so much from financial resources.

Let's stay cool and try not make pcecipitate decisions and to keep a comfortable atmosphere within the forum discussions.

Cheers, David

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2015, 04:00:34 PM »
Dirk, you did indeed point out that there area's that require improvement, however not everything is as quick a fix as you think, unless you know differently. If so, you might be the man to implement the fix.

The idea of member's adding information etc is an interesting one, and worthy of further exploration. You would have to be careful of getting like Wikipedia where information is uncontrolled, but with the right safeguards it could work. There are members who don't post photographs, but who might be able to add data, and this could be a way of involving them.

The person who sent you the abusive PM was right out of order. You have as much right to your opinions as anyone else, and, while you put them forcefully, you were not abusive. there was a case a while ago when an admin posted publicly on much the same lines, and I pointed out then it was out of order.

All I'm saying to you is don't expect too much too quickly, and certainly don't expect perfection, but still enjoy and contribute to the site.

Offline DEREK SANDS

• Top Poster
  • taken in Holland 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2015, 04:08:49 PM »
Hi Dirk,

The simple answer to your question about access is.

No we cannot manually alter imported data from outside source.
Members can place data in the comment box just the same as admins can.
Admins can correct names and IMO's and place them in correct category.I have recently asked for and got some admins who will be looking after information correction.
Members can of course contribute as very many do already sending corrections for us to enact.
That is a way where control of information can be done to ensure it is accurate.

There are plans to upgrade several processes of course and there is much to do on the site.
But as Simon pointed out earlier the admin team is entirely made up of volunteers who dedicate as much time as they can to the site. There is one IT man employed by the owner to cover all technical needs. But he is looking after other sites to or he would I expect cost far more than the resources of this site could support.

best regards
Derek
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 04:19:35 PM by DEREK SANDS »

Offline jadran

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2015, 06:07:39 PM »

I see that every day now, within the recent time, the number of 'Guests' and 'Users' and  'Most online Today' is continuously rising.

That's good, good and good ....... for the Website and for all of us 'lovers' of Shipspotting.com.

The general interest towards the website is nowadays certainly rising !!!

... got married to ships

Offline Tomas

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?cid=&uid=3166&orderby=hitsD
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2015, 10:02:17 PM »
If you have a picture that dont suit shipspotting.com, post it on facebook, there are many groups with rules that aint so strict.
Until the rules on shipspotting.com get altered, i dont see whats the problem following the rules.
http://www.shipspotting.com/support/faq.php?category=Site%20standards%20for%20all%20photos

I dont post this to be some wiseguy or expert, cause i certainly aint, rather the opposite. I post this because its nice to have a place to enjoy interesting and nice photos without having to feel ashamed of the eternal bickering and naging about this and that, this is something I am tired of.

I hope this site can regain some of its past cozyness.

I repeat, not posting this to be wise. Just for love of ship-photos.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-ship-photography/1432618817040609

Offline Robbie

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2015, 11:26:47 PM »
At the end of the day Dirk, you are just whinging about what you don't like about this site and nick picking but is not offering any help in volunteering to help get the site back on track.
If you are not happy with the site or certain bits of it either step up and contact a webmaster to offer some assistance or send them an email or PM to highlight what parts of the website could do with improving but starting more forums is not the way to do this. By making another forum about how unhappy you are with parts of the site or that your photo was removed you are being childish. The rules around images that are uploaded are clear and simple if you don't want to follow them then you risk getting your image removed. it doesn't matter who comments on it or if someone adds extra information about the history of the vessel it needs to conform with the sites rules.
There is a new admin team here now and things seem to be getting planned out so the site can move in a positive direction. this sort of stuff doesn't happen over night and we need to be patient. Derek is keeping us updated with how it is all going and always seems open to ideas on how to make this site even better.

Offline dirk septer

• Home away from home
  • Navigare necesse est
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2015, 12:28:10 AM »
@ Robbie:

Your condescending remarks really aren't helpful; why throw more fuel on the fire?

Did you check with the webmasters whether I did offer my help or not to improve this
web site before you start accusing me? Obviously not!

Earlier today, a fellow member already called my 5,200+ photos on Shipspotting
"amateurish" and asked "to do him a favour not to hang around too long."

We are all trying to make Shipspotting a better and higher quality web site, so why keep pointing fingers?

I am certainly willing to do my part to make positive changes happen to make Shipspotting
the best site with good quality photos, but it should also be attractive and not contain
wrong or missing data and information.

Amongst all our members there certainly should be some with IT savvy that with help of
others can make things happen.

So slinging more mud certainly is not helpful!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk