Author Topic: Where is the best place to Ship Spot?  (Read 5532 times)

Offline Steven Collingwood

• Photo Corrections
  • Quite a regular
    • View Profile
    • Steven Collingwood on SmugMug
Where is the best place to Ship Spot?
« on: January 05, 2015, 08:43:43 PM »
Possibly going to Savannah, Georiga, USA in January.  Does anybody know a good place to Ship Spot there?  If there is a fee to go there, how much is it?  Thanks in advance!!!
Steven Collingwood

Offline Russell Judge

• Supporter
  • Just can't stay away
  • Ex seagoing engineer 1965-1971
    • View Profile
Re: Where is the best place to Ship Spot?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 09:01:25 AM »
It is pretty much impossible to see or photograph the ships on the berths. I did once drive across over the Talmadge Memorial Bridge to Hutchinson Island and go north until I came to the city sewage farm!! There I managed a couple of shots but was afraid of being locked in so did not stay. Unfortunatley this drive is shielded from the river by dense undergrowth. All the shipping at the up river docks pass right by the riverbank (River Street)where there are lots of cafes and bars with spectacular view of (mainly) containerships. There are a couple of berths slightly downriver from downtown but I never did discover how to get to them (legally)
At the mouth of the river is Fort Pulaski with good views of passing traffic (5$ entrance fee)
Fleetmon will give a list of ships in port but for scheduled arrivals, you need to be a member to log in to that section.

Best of luck

Russ

Offline Steven Collingwood

• Photo Corrections
  • Quite a regular
    • View Profile
    • Steven Collingwood on SmugMug
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 05:13:29 PM »
Thanks!!!
Steven Collingwood

Offline Jeff Thoreson

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 05:44:10 PM »
You can walk past the Marriott on the downriver side and there is a long Boardwalk to see the downriver berths. It's a great place to see ships; I see at least ten every time I am there.

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 07:17:07 PM »
It's a bit since I've been to Savannah, the above locations are good, but, in addition, Savannah Riverboat Cruises do harbour cruises. The last time I went on one they went up river past most of the berths, and then down river as far as the two berths you mentioned. Might be worth a trip.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk