Author Topic: Cropping stack insignia from the "original" versions  (Read 7995 times)

Offline ZOUKI

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
Cropping stack insignia from the "original" versions
« on: December 11, 2014, 06:08:36 PM »
I would be grateful for an idea as to how to crop a stack insignia from the large-scale "original" versions of photos on this site. Attempts to do this on a normal-size JPEG using iPhoto produce a magnified but distorted view that's useless. Is there some way that I can save the large-scale image for cropping etc in iPhoto? Thanks from a "senior" insignia collector (since 1958).

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
Re: Cropping stack insignia from the "original" versions
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 08:03:09 AM »
do you want to reduce the size of a stack picture or crop a photo with a stack on it? I use ACDsee to achieve both without any problems, but it is not a free programme. I guess Irfanview willgive you the same options and that is to download. The programma iPhoto smells like Apple and I am allergic to that. 

Offline Cody Williams

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ~Ydoc~ on Flickr
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 09:29:24 AM »
Hi Zouki,

You may have better luck with a program called Picasa that's made Google. I've found it to be a very user friend image correction program.

A link to the Picasa information page.

Kind regards
Cody
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 09:31:35 AM by Cody Williams »

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 11:07:55 AM »
It depends on the quality and composition of the original photo and what camera equipment was used. If the original photo isn't that great or is shot at long zoom, the quality of the crop is never going to be good. Unless the funnel takes up a decent portion of the frame in the first place.

Brgds
Phil

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 03:37:02 PM »
"Stack insignia" v. "Funnel markings": another expample of the US and UK being separated by a common language (lol)

Offline ZOUKI

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 05:16:30 PM »
Many thanks to the members who took the time to help with this. The problem seems to be that there's no way to download either of the magnified "full screen" or "original" versions as stand-alone JPEGS - they remain as HTML, and as a result none of the editing tools which could be used for cropping the individual stacks/funnels will work.

Do the larger-scale JPEGs exist somewhere separately, or do the site administrators use software to create them?

There's a lot about this whole topic that I'm still learning but again thanks for the suggestions (and the patience).

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 11:53:55 PM »
If I understand this correctly, the main problem is the inability to download the full size photo as a picture, and not html.

This seems strange, as the full size version of the photo opens in separate window, and then right click of the mouse button with pointer on the picture gives an option to "Save Image as", allowing to save the file as .jpg (among other formats).

Rgds

Vlad

Offline John Wilson

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 03:05:27 AM »
If you are using a Mac computer, you need only open up the full screen image and simply
drag the image onto the desktop. There should be no problem doing this and then you can
edit the large file photo how you like.
I use iphoto most of the time and I find it very good.
John W.

DanEarl

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 06:17:48 AM »
If you are using a Mac computer, you need only open up the full screen image and simply
drag the image onto the desktop. There should be no problem doing this and then you can
edit the large file photo how you like.
I use iphoto most of the time and I find it very good.
John W.

Hi ZOUKI,

As Vlad (lappino) says, open the image up in 'Full Screen' then as John Wilson suggests drag it to your desktop, I have just tried a different method using a MacBook Pro, while the image is opened up in full screen, take a 'Snapshot' by pressing "cmd,shift,4" you can then use your mouse to cut an area of the image that you want and it will go straight to your desktop then transfer it to iPhoto or whatever software you are using.

If there are not too many insignias that you want then you could always send a polite personal message to the member that has uploaded the photograph to see if he / she would be willing to email you the original size photograph, as long as you explain what you want to do with it.

Remember, you can only use what you take from here for 'Personal Use Only' as our images are covered by copyright so please do not start to add any insignias from shipspotting on to other websites !

Hope the above is of some help,

Cheers,

Dan.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 06:22:05 AM by Dan Earl »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk