Author Topic: underhand deletion  (Read 10794 times)

Offline phantom53

• Quite a regular
  • Little old me
    • View Profile
underhand deletion
« on: January 03, 2016, 12:14:26 PM »
I have to say that something is wrong at admin city, I posted a photo of a harbour overview, fantastic.
Admin then changed the category to the ship that is in dock, without my permission I have to say.
Then it was promptly deleted for the vessel being obstructed, they should never have changed the category, as pic was of harbour and not ship.
Any thoughts on this, as this is not the first time I've had this problem

Offline Adrian Ford

• Vice Webmaster
  • Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Re: underhand deletion
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 12:33:56 PM »
If its was a ship in drydock it should never have been consider for deletion.

Best Wishes
Adrian
Adrian Ford admin for Shipping, Ancient, Museum, Steam, Barge Carriers, Barges, Offshore, Ships under repair or conversion ,  Research,  Special Purpose Ships, Storm sections, views are mine only.

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 12:39:40 PM »
A good quality photo but it simply does not comply with site rules (which are not necessarly logical to everyone). Fair enough deletion in my view - and I am not an Admin.

Offline phantom53

• Quite a regular
  • Little old me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 04:32:48 PM »
So BobS you think is fair that admin can change a category, then delete under different rules.
 Unfair rules, and unfair comment from you ???

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 04:47:58 PM »
Phantom 53: Admins and their decisions can sometimes be a right scunner but they are doing a good job. You either have to live with that or apply to become an admin yourself.

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 05:16:02 PM »
An explanatory e-mail from the admin to the original poster would have been the courteous thing to do.

Offline peter j. fitzpatrick

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 06:01:02 PM »
In my opinion the admin is correct as the ships bow is blocked by a building
I also have had photos deleted by admins but you just post a better shot next time
Peter

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 06:12:35 PM »
I think the point the original poster was trying to make was that it met, in his opinion, the criteria for posting in the original category, but was moved by an admin into a category where it didn't meet the criteria, vis your comments, and then deleted. The question being raised is should a photograph be moved by admins between categories without the original poster being at least informed, in the same way as they would be informed about a deletion. I'm sure it doesn't happen very often, so it shouldn't be too burdensome for an admin to contact the poster. In most cases it wouldn't be contentious, as I suspect most would be down to the poster just selecting the wrong category in the drop down box.

Offline Pier Master

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • The Pier Master
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 10:29:30 PM »
For the vessel to qualify for insertion to the Harbour Overview category the photo must show harbour facilities. It is clear that there are no harbour facilities in the photograph, just a ship alongside the quay wall, hence my decision to move it to what seemed to be the correct category, that of Cruise Ships.

http://www.shipspotting.com/support/faq.php?category=Harbour%20overview%20images

Harbour Overview Category states... Ships alongside quays are allowed providing the ship can be clearly seen and is free of obstructions such as buildings, walkways and cranes and have no excessive foreground obstruction. Sadly your photograph fails on this point.

Regards, Brian.
Blistering barnacles...

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 04:23:46 AM »
@simonwp
I'm sure it doesn't happen very often
I am afraid to say that it is all too common - every day we find photos in wrong categories - and often have them pointed out to us by other members.  They are usually corrected silently, along with missing or wrong IMOs, wrongly spelled names etc etc.  This is not a complaint - the Correction Editors volunteered to do this house-keeping work, though less of it would be welcome!  I do not think that the routine sending of messages for every one would be very productive.

Correction editors do not normally become involved in considering deletions.  That said, I do agree that communication would be good practice in cases like this one where the implications are wider than just what box the photo is filed in.  I will raise this with the other correction editors and admin (most of whom are probably following this topic).  

David

PS - this subject is also in the wrong category - it ought be in "Site related news, functions and modules", I think
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 04:50:09 AM by davidships »

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 09:04:45 AM »
This is clearly not a harbour overview image as set out by the site rules. In my opinion, it's a poor quality (obstructed & person in view) ship photo which had been dumped into harbour overviews as a try-on because it would have been deleted from any other category. It should never have been moved, but deleted straight away. However, these things happen and we're all fallible.

Sorry, but I've been here too long not to be cynical and that's the way I see it.

Brgds
Phil

Offline phantom53

• Quite a regular
  • Little old me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 11:11:39 AM »
Peir Master and Phil English, I've decided to accept your decisions, though grudgingly, as I do look through photos and new insertions and have to say that it seems that double standards are in place and there are numourous photos that contravene the rules you impose, you should take a look and do you job to the best of your ability.
Not to be picky but a case in point and for no other reason, please take a look at the series of photos of Harmony of the Seas(not harbour overview, but cruise ship) that was uploaded reasently, and then tell me that the ship is not obscured, even worse than mine, and as such need rerevewing
And before using the adage that you have many many photos to review every day, and I realise this , but you seem to do mine very smartly and others that are clearly worse are overlooked, and also realise that due to past transgressions my photos get first views, but that is only my impression.

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 05:11:07 PM »
Sorry Phantom, but there's nothing wrong with the photos of Harmony of the Seas. The ship is in a dock and therefore in most cases it is impossible to get an unobstructed view of the ship. Hence these photos are accepted in the same way as such photos are accepted to the "ships in drydock"-category. (So far there's only one unobstructed photo of her. Should the rest documenting the progress of construction of such a giant be deleted because of inevitable obstructions?)

So strictly speaking the photos of HotS belong in the "ships in drydock"-category. But as we have a separate category for ships under construction, you'll find them there...

best regards,
Jens

Offline phantom53

• Quite a regular
  • Little old me
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 07:40:36 PM »
The ship is in a dock and therefore in most cases it is impossible to get an unobstructed view of the ship.

Well said Jens, this has always been my case, unless you can get to the other bank to get unobstructed view, in my case the other bank is eight miles away, so no chance of a snap from that distance. So back to the original topic of clutter and objects on the dock from buildings to vehicles to rubbish, so why is there obstructions better than mine

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk