Author Topic: A rarity;- A Trip Report  (Read 2110 times)

Offline Russell Judge

• Supporter
  • Just can't stay away
  • Ex seagoing engineer 1965-1971
    • View Profile
A rarity;- A Trip Report
« on: December 09, 2014, 01:28:43 PM »
I have recently returned from a 2 month vacation on the East Coast USA (Please see previous post regarding recommendations)
I started on Long Island where I leased a car from a friend of mine and did a little touring around to Sag Harbor and Montauk point. I then caught the ferry from Orient to New London in order to visit the USS Nautilus at Groton CT. Although free, the museum was more interesting than the submarine itself. So many areas were off limits including the engine room even though the reactors were long gone. The conning tower (sail) was also "No Entry" and all other areas were behind perspex screens making photography (which is allowed, very frustrating. Unless in the area, I would give it a miss. A bit of a shame given the history.
Next up was a trip to Philadelphia to see the "United States". I went via Bayonne where you can photograph the shipping at Newark from Stephen R Gregg Bayonne Park. I was hoping to visit USS New Jersey at Camden NJ but due to a bridge closure and subsequent congestion did not get there until 1/2 hr before closing. I did take a few photos of the "United States" but they were not really of sufficient quality to be submitted to the website. That said, it is very distressing to see the Greyhound of the Oceans is such a sorry and neglected state.
I know her future is uncertain but even if her funnels were repainted, it would give the old girl a touch of her former glory.
Next to Baltimore MD to photograph NS "Savannah" (last photographed by me in 1966 in the Adriatic.) Even better, they had an open day with guided tours EVERYWHERE on board (the exception being the reactor room) Loads of internal shots but not a decent one of the exterior due to being turmed away by the state police!! I had hoped to also visit the preserved Liberty ship "John W Brown" but it was impossible to park within 3 miles of her due to some festival.
Next to Wilmington NC to visit USS "North Carolina" where, again virtually the whole ship was open for a charge($10 for seniors) Good value and good site if military vessels are your thing or even if not.
Then to Savannah where I was staying for a few weeks. The port is quite busy with all traffic passing right by the main tourist part of the river bank. The actual berths are up river about 5 miles and are difficult to photograph although I did manage to sneek through a sewage farm to see some of the container ships! As I did not want to impose on my host and his wife, I took myself off to Port Canaveral for 4 night/3 day cruise to the Bahamas on RCL "Enchantment of the Seas"
"Norwegian Sky" was in Nassau and I did see a couple of Disney boats but too far to ID.
Drove down to Miami where you can just about photograph ships at the passenger terminals from the western end of the McArthur Causeway at Weston Island Park. A couple of Carnivals, an MSC and Norwegian Getaway were in and that was about it for the shipping part on my trip.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk