Author Topic: Illustrated encyclopedia of whale oil factory ships 1903-1955  (Read 1760 times)

Offline geirrosset

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Illustrated encyclopedia of whale oil factory ships 1903-1955
« on: October 03, 2013, 12:01:13 PM »
Not sure if this belongs here, but as a large part of this site deals in ship photography this might interest some of the members. It is a touchy topic, but I would still like to let everybody know that a book I have been working on for the past one and a half years is now in production. It covers all whale oil factory ships in operation between 1903 and 1955. This is a part of our common maritime history and I felt it deserved to be told. It is not a book about whaling per say rather it is a book about the vessels which served as a place of work for so many thousands of people for more than 60 years. The industry of southern pelagic whaling passed into history almost fifty years ago (with the exception of Japan and Soviet/Russia, which I have chosen not to include for various reasons) but the memory lives on in old whalers and their families and in the communities where the whaling industry was the chief employer. If one can avoid judging the actions of people in the past with modern eyes there is a lot of interesting history and untold numbers of interesting stories yet to be told. Many of these stories will likely never be told, but this book is my attempt at telling one of them at least.

A4 landscape, 271 pages, 124 ships, chronologically ordered, dual language Norwegian and English, hundreds of photos and 22 original artworks.

Contact me at [email protected] if you are interested, and I will keep you posted on the release.

Best regards
Geir Rosset
Oslo
Norway

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk