Author Topic: Where is the best location to photograph ships going into Sheerness / Thamesport  (Read 5857 times)

Offline Trev

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Hello

I am wondering if any members on this site have photographed ships going into Sheerness or Thamesport?

If you have photographed ships where abouts do you position yourself? I have a 70-300 lens so I am assuming that positioning myself on the Isle of Grain is out of the question.

All the best

Trev

Offline John Grace

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Trev, the two places that I have used are both sides of Garrison Point. Park in Tesco's car park, Sheerness, then go to the sea wall and walk east along the sea wall. You can get very close to Garrison Point itself and take photos with Southend as a distant backdrop. This gets you pretty close to the ships as they round the point. The other place that I have used is the sea wall at Queenborough. Go to Queenborough, down the High Street about as far as you can go. There is a small park, with public toilets, opposite The Old House at Home pub. At the east side of the park there is a small car park. Also you can drive on to Crundall's Wharf, where you can normally park. This gives some access for photos with the Isle of Grain and Thamesport as mid distance backdrops. It is possible to walk along the sea wall, towards Garrison Point but you will then come to a fence which encloses the imported cars compound. The path does continue along the fence, on the land side around the port of Sheerness and if you we're to continue along this path you would arrive close to the Tesco car park having walked halfway around the port perimeter fence. I hope you find this useful.

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Is there a website showing the movements on the Medway?

Regards

Bob

Offline Doug Shaw

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
Try this Bob,http://www.medwaynavigation.co.uk/contact.php
Schedule third down,under under container photo.

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Also from the Grain side, though I haven't been for a while - access to the sea wall through Grain village in Smithfield Road, here:
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=51.451654,0.722509&hl=en-GB&num=1&t=h&z=14

Passing ships are further away, but can also catch the non-moving berthed ships at Sheerness.  Better in the afternoon.

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.

Regards

Bob

Offline Trev

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Thank you from me aswell, I will be giving the locations mentioned a visit this weekend  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk