Author Topic: Help Needed - Manchester Liner?  (Read 6345 times)

Offline Stephen Reynolds

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
    • My Ship Spotting Site
Help Needed - Manchester Liner?
« on: August 02, 2013, 12:03:24 PM »
Hi all

I am trying to identify a ship from my Grandad's scrap book. We think it is a Manchester Liner but uncertain which one. He served as an able bodied seaman on numerous Manchester Liners throughout his career at sea including during WWII on the Atlantic, Russian and Mediterranean convoys and he is certain that it is one of them.

I cant see any name which seems a bit strange.

Any help with ID would be appreciared

Regards

Steve

www.shipspottersteve.com

Offline Ian Horsfall

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Re: Help Needed - Manchester Liner?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 12:34:16 PM »
Steve,try the Manchester Liners Old Shipmates Assoc , there are pictures of most of the vsl
good luck

Offline David Meare

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 02:58:55 PM »
During the war it was a practice not to have names permanently displayed on vessels, but on a name board which would just identify them when and if displayed in port.

The photo is a dead ringer for the Manchester City which was delivered in 1937. In the Pictorial History of Manchester Liners, it is said that the Manchesters Port, City and Progress were delivered in 1935, 1937 and 1938. Their tonnages are very similar and it could be that they are look-alikes. It does state that in 1939 at the outbreak of war the City became at first a minelayer and then a Naval Auxiliary working in the Far East. All three survived the War.

See Manchester Progress
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Manchester_Progress_7346_grt_1938-1966.jpg

See Manchester Port
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ManchesterPort.jpg

Offline Chris Howell

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 06:09:53 AM »
Spot on David !
Notes on album
1. All postings are photography of Chris Howell except where stated taken from 1972 to date.
2. Photographs taken by others are credited as owned collection and photographers name where known and I own the copyright or the person mentioned in the text.

Offline David Meare

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 02:27:24 PM »
Hi Chris,

I gave some further thought to this question after posting. Of the three ships, from the photos that are available online, it appears that the bridge front of the Manchester Port was wood faced. The Progress and City were white painted metal. The quotes that state the City was first a mine-layer from the outbreak of war and then a naval support vessel in the Far East, appear inconsistent with the OP's grandfather's recollections of his Northern waters voyages on the ML vessel. Whilst far from conclusive, it suggests that the picture provided might be of the Progress rather than the City.

Regards,
David

Offline Stephen Reynolds

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
    • My Ship Spotting Site
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 07:16:35 PM »
Hi all

Many thanks for all your help.

We think that this is the Manchester Progress too.

Thanks again for taking the time to assist.

Regards

Steve

www.shipspottersteve.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk