Author Topic: Ship Spotting in Singapore  (Read 4062 times)

Offline Russell Judge

• Supporter
  • Just can't stay away
  • Ex seagoing engineer 1965-1971
    • View Profile
Ship Spotting in Singapore
« on: July 21, 2013, 10:07:25 AM »
Just returned from Australia via Singapore both out & homebound. (Australia was so poor that I will not even report on it)
Singapore more than made up for it. Coming in to land at Changi, all you could see were ships, ships and more ships. Heaven!
Following advice from fellow spotters, I stayed at the Sentosa Shangri-La Rasa Hotel. Fantastic view of the Western Anchorage from the balcony (I was on floor 7 but could have done with being at least 2 floors higher) A bit expensive for me but worth it.There IS a short cruise round a small part of the Western anchorage aboard a modern version of a junk. I also took the advice to visit Kusu island where some of the ships are as close as Terneuzen! (Don't miss the last boat @ 16:00!!)  Both these trips are from Marina South pier and pass close enough to some of the ships in the Eastern anchorage and also container ships at the Tanjong Pagar terminal.On my homebound trip, I again went to Kusu island but hired a car on the 2nd day to check out the Eastern anchorage. Starting at the Changi end of the ECP (East Coast Parkway), you can get a good view at various stops along the East Coast Park service road. I agree that the nearer ships tend to block out the further, larger ones but you cannot have everything. (However at the Changi end, there is a windsurfing school called Constant Wind. They rent power boats for SIN$500 for half day SIN$800 for full day) If there are 5 of you, it is only

Offline john white

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Ship Spotting in Singapore
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 08:31:30 PM »
I was there in 2001 stayed in Marina Mandarin on floor 21 did the trip to Kusu island
plenty of ships to photograph
regards
John

Offline Russell Judge

• Supporter
  • Just can't stay away
  • Ex seagoing engineer 1965-1971
    • View Profile
Re: Ship Spotting in Singapore
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 02:13:09 PM »
Just a warning; The 'M' hotel in Anson Road now has a huge new building in front of it and the view will be very poor except from the highest floors. I stayed in the Sentosa Resort & Spa at the eastern end of Sentosa Island and whilst an excellent hotel, would not recommend for ship spotting/photography.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk