Author Topic: New owners SS Rotterdam  (Read 4364 times)

Offline Hannes van Rijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/userinfo.php?uid=20488
New owners SS Rotterdam
« on: June 13, 2013, 04:56:04 AM »
Since June 11 the Dutch hotel operator WestCord Hotels is the proud owner of the ss Rotterdam. WestCord Hotels is chosen by Woonbron from 100 interested parties. The housing company Woonbron bought the ss Rotterdam in 2005 en refurbished it to a multifunctional place for working, learning and leasure. The transfer to WestCord Hotels was postponed for some months because of juridical problems that have been solved now. We are grateful that Woonbron saved the ship from scrap to give it a new future. We welcome the new management of the ship, Mr. and Mrs. Westers, and are looking forward to a fruitful cooperation.

Welcome to the day of architecture onboard the ss Rotterdam. On Sunday June 23 between 11 AM and 3 PM the La Fontaine room is the place where you can learn more about the architecture of the ship and the work of architects who worked on board and on shore.
At 11 AM and 2 PM lectures will be given. Free entrance. See hhtp://www.ssrotterdam.nl

Picture
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 07:20:10 AM by Hannes van Rijn »

Offline Robert Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: New owners SS Rotterdam
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 08:53:08 PM »
Well Hannes, I don't think Woonbron's tenants are pleased about the fact that the housing society lost about 275 mln. euros in the process. It's clear that it is very difficult to preserve former ocean liners these days.

:-\

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 09:59:22 PM »
Let's hope that in the end she'll be earning her money in her static role, too. I've just spent some time (and money) again aboard last Saturday and enjoyed every second. This was my second visit. Just seeing her again gave me thrills:-)

Offline Hannes van Rijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/userinfo.php?uid=20488
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 03:18:16 AM »
I totally agree with you Jens.

Offline Robert Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 02:54:49 PM »
I'd agree that she's a landmark in Rotterdam and fortunately quite popular with tourists.
But let's not forget that it's relatively easy to yield a commercial succes on an investment of

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 08:02:51 PM »
During an inofficial shipspotters meeting at Rotterdam last weekend I also had the chance to see the SS Rotterdam internally and I must admit, I was very impressed.

The ship is kept very well and it really feels onboard as if the cruise could begin every moment. Of course the prices in the bar are not low, but in my opinion it is worth to pay. They did care alot to keep the old atmosphere remaining and the old furnishing etc. most of it is still in place. I would like to visit the ship again and take one of the guided tours :-)

Was as well, first time in my life I set foot on a cruiseship.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk