Author Topic: REQ: Southampton  (Read 3557 times)

Offline Darleydale

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
REQ: Southampton
« on: November 20, 2012, 04:01:14 PM »
Hi All

I would like to find out the best places to watch and photograph ships approaching and leaving Southampton Docks please? All suggestions would be helpful.

Regards

DD

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: REQ: Southampton
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 06:52:02 PM »
Because of sunlight its best to stay to the West of Southampton Water especially in the winter months with late sunrise etc. To cover the tanker movements as well as container/passenger the Calshot Spit is the best advantage spot.The spit of land south of Fawley with lifeboat station. (Follow road directions to Calshot Activity Centre) For container berths/ new docks photos around Eling and Marchwood. No docks access re H&S issues.
As a starting point take a look at http://www.ship-tracking.co.uk/aismap/AIS%20Maps/solent1.html for overall view.(A wealth of info on the site)
Re ship movements at http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Planned_Movements/ but do not rely too much on 23.59 times (they are just indicators of things to come). The arrival times are at berths in the docks but for tankers its times at Hook Buoy/Calshot. Allow an hour to 2 hours from docks to Calshot especially if container ships need to turn. Hover your mouse/zoom in over ship tracking map above near Eling ..container ships turn at No 8 swinging ground buoy/ adjacent to 201 202 berths. Good for photos of swinging at Eling. If I've forgotten anything I'm sure fellow enthusiast Allan Ryskya-Onions will chip in.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 07:06:47 PM by ChasB46 »

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 10:25:55 PM »
Hi Gordon

Chas has covered most but you can also get good shots of Southampton traffic (not Esso tankers however) from Hythe Pier.  Here you can take a train ride to the end of the pier, and also catch a ferry across to Southampton affording good views of vessels on berths 39 - 41 (usually car carriers or cruise ships) and also views into Ocean Dock.  If you visit in the summer, Town Quay and Mayflower Park in Southampton give good opportunities for vessels arriving at the Western Docks (berths 101 - 110), No.7 drydock, and the container berths, but only before about 10am when the sun moves around.   You should also note that Southampton arrivals are mostly pre 9am and most sailings after 4pm.  Large container ships and crude tankers tend to come in on the high tide, which is double at Southampton due to the Isle of Wight effect.  Large container ships often pass off Fawley as it is one of the few places where there is sufficient deep water width to allow a pass.  So if you see a large box boat departure for say 12:00 and an arrival for 15:00, they will pass off Fawley.

hope this helps, enjoy your visit

Allan

oh and Chas, 0/10 for spelling

Offline Darleydale

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 10:49:08 PM »
Hi Allan & Chas

Many thanks for your help on the above. I also found the Southampton site today more by luck than judgement giving me like yourselves, a lot of scope for viewing and photos. I'll hopefully be using this information in the near future.

All best wishes

DD

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 11:21:24 PM »
DD, as expected, Allan would supply more good info. I have not personally used Hythe or the ferry so did not want to advise on that.
Allan 0/10 is a bit harsh .. phonetic spelling is my excuse, but all those ysz+k's would make an unbreakable password. I thought the website was only using English as the language of choice.

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 10:13:26 AM »
Hi Chas

I think you're treading on egg-shells with that subject bearing in mind the discussions there have been recently !!   Alright, 8/10 and a red star for trying.  See you next Tuesday.

Allan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk