Author Topic: Sea City  (Read 5921 times)

Offline Alan Green

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Sea City
« on: February 15, 2013, 06:00:36 PM »
Rather late notice, but a new series begins on BBC2 at 2030 hrs this evening (Friday) going behind the scenes at the port of Southampton.

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Sea City
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 07:34:18 PM »
Hi Allan

not a new series, but repeats from BBC 1 South.....only 3 programmes were made, but they hope to do another series.   Nice to see them on 'national' rather than regional tv even if on BBC2.  I guess they must have got good viewing figures. 

Allan

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 11:11:11 AM »
Allan,
Whatever happened to episode 3? The day I expected to see that on BBC South, they had something else (can't remember what. Something "newsworthy", no doubt)
I thgought episode 1 was a potential PR disaster for P&O. No doubt the lady who spent 2 years organising it would think differently.
"I spent the last 2 years organising and planning this"
"Where is our baggage?" (Passenger)
Also; "Will this cake fit through the entrance, it may be too wide".
Ask the lady who spent 2 years planning; surely she would know the measurements?

Offline chrisg46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Shipping TV
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 11:41:52 AM »
Whichever channel they make and broadcast this kind of stuff for, they always feel the need to dramatise stuff up to get an audience from the great British public!

Having said that, though it was quite a good insight . .
Chris
I'm a working shipping journo, and run a website called ShippingTV . . .
http://www.shippingtv.co.uk

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 12:27:45 PM »
Hi Kelvin, episode 3 was broadcast a week later than original schedule because of networked programme re weather abnormality. It was about container port team trying to break record of number of boxes unloaded in a 12 hour shift by one crane.Target of 600+.

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 12:32:41 PM »
What brought a smile to us local watchers was seeing some of the people we either see or hear every day.
The team at Southampton VTS; all put on their best shirt & tie and their best English accents.
And the guy driving the ABP Harbour Master launch. Very different on the radio. I remember his voice from the time he referred to me as David Bailey! (He was talking to his mate on the radio while approaching my position on the beach and taking photos)
Oh, the priest was interesting, especially his Tagalog pronunciation. Smashing! I could imagine the tanker crew saying to themselves "Listen to the porringer (foreigner)!"
Chas; Just saw your post. I saw that one about the container crews. They didn't see what they were letting themselves in for, did they? "You have done 600 boxes before, you can do it again".
Maybe I missed episode 2?

Offline NAB

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 12:40:21 PM »
Thank you for noticing my freshly pressed shirt! Glad you all seemed to like the insight! A busy day but really good to be part of the documentary!
Best regards
Nathan  :)

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 01:06:38 PM »
You are welcome, Nathan.
It is a pity they didn't show more of the WAFIs and lunatics you constantly have to put up with in the area.
Now that would make an interesting programme!
Kelvin

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 01:15:55 PM »
Episode 3 got rescheduled for a week later because BBC South decided to show a programme about the snow instead.
One of the episodes did show the WAFIs being told to get out of the way of incoming ships but, as the chap driving the harbour master launch said, they think he's the bad guy! The yachts seem oblivious to the big ships a lot of the time.  ::)

Offline NAB

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 01:17:28 PM »
Indeed.
All the best
Nathan  :)

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 06:04:48 PM »
Kelvin you must have seen them all. Episode 1 ..P&O, Episode 2 Harbour master+yacht tangled on tanker/Cowes, Episode 3 Container box moving.

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 09:23:40 PM »
You know Chas, I think you may be right.
I suppose I must have assumed there would be more than 3 episodes.
Oh well....
Kelvin

Offline Alan Green

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 10:45:21 PM »
Having watched the programme last night, I felt rather embarrassed at having brought it to the Forums attention.  Obviously the programme has to appeal to a far greater audience than us, but I agree that far too much time was spent on the cake and the organised baggage chaos.  If such programmes are going to be made, then maybe they should call upon someone in our ranks to be guest editor.    Originating from her home port, I had been looking forward to seeing THV Patricia, but 2 waves by HRH Princess Anne to the P & O sail past and that was that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk