Author Topic: Spanish threat to bunkering at Gibraltar..............  (Read 3945 times)

Offline Mike Griffiths

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
Spanish threat to bunkering at Gibraltar..............
« on: September 16, 2012, 09:28:45 AM »
Reported in elpais today:

Spain planning to create a Special Area of Conservation around Gibraltar that would include waters in dispute between both governments.
The zone will prohibit environmentally dangerous practices like bunkering which is a major economic activity for Gibraltar..........

Offline Dave Forbes

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Re: Spanish threat to bunkering at Gibraltar..............
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 12:10:24 PM »
Haven't the Spanish got more important things to worry about than conservation areas . like their sagging economy about to teeter over a cliff and millions of their nationals unemployed and having to borrow billions of Euros as bail outs. We all know they would love to own GIB and this is just the latest rouse they have come up with. Gibraltar is British and the people of Gibraltar wish it to remain so.

Offline Patagualino

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 12:21:32 AM »
I quite agree Dave....
And what about Cueta, a Spanish territory on the coast of Africa (Morocco) at 18.5 km2 it's 3 times the size of Gibraltar.....The Moroccans keep asking  for it back, but are ignored by Spain. (Check out both on Wiki)
It's all a bit of the "pot calling the kettle" I'm afraid.
Cheers: Steve.

Offline scopio

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 08:54:22 AM »
The Spanish plan to create a conservation area surrounding British Gibraltar Territorial Waters has nothing to do with protecting the environment but a lot to do with claiming the waters surrounding British Gibraltar are, in Spain

Offline polsteam

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://ships.greenet.pl/photo
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 08:16:18 PM »
The Spanish plan to create a conservation area surrounding British Gibraltar Territorial Waters has nothing to do with protecting the environment but a lot to do with claiming the waters surrounding British Gibraltar are, in Spain
despite using "polsteam" for my nick I have NO personal (professional) or business connections with the company of the same name

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk