Author Topic: Suez Canal  (Read 6827 times)

Offline Russell Judge

• Supporter
  • Just can't stay away
  • Ex seagoing engineer 1965-1971
    • View Profile
Suez Canal
« on: July 21, 2012, 04:37:15 PM »
I am half thinking of a visit to Egypt for both tourism and ship photography.
When is the best time to go (Not too hot!)
Are there any restrictions about photographing ships in canal transit?
Is self-drive car hire an option and is it safe?
I have identified a couple of hotels (1 in Port Said and 1 in Ismailia) but would welcome any other suggestions.
Any help would be most appreciated.

Russell Judge

Offline Richard Paton

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Suez Canal
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 08:03:46 PM »
Here is link to an old thread regarding this from 2010. May be out of date somewhat but gives you a starting point to go on

http://forum.shipspotting.com/index.php/topic,8139.0.html

Richard  :)

Offline Ian Horsfall

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 09:42:51 PM »
Hi Russ,
Ever thought of going to Blackpool instead, see the illuminations,
Firework displays in syria???? may be safer.
Good to hear from you , what ever your plans Be safe

Offline Peter S. aus N

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 10:01:32 PM »
Dear Judge,
 I think actually it is not a good time to visit the Suez Chanel. I have the experience to be there several times and I know how the police and the secuity thinks. They think you will dispose a secret with your camera they are stupid that they don't konw with google earth it knows all of the world so they think everyone with a camera comes from usa or israel and both countries have no good reputation actually in egypt.
The hotel in Port Said is too far away from the bypass of the channel, you will only see vessels which are going to port of said port, no large transit vessels.
Ismailiya is full with secret police and radical muslim- so take a 500mm tele don't leave your hotel room and take your photos. When you take your photos outside it is possible that it ends in prison like I did.
I changed to the panama chanel- the people are very fiendly, you can take yout fotos without problems and the alcohol is not prohibited egypt is actally too dangerous.
greetings Peter from germany
I'm far away from the sea to Hamburg I have a longer distance as to Venice or Genova. My favorite is the Suez Canal, Panama Canal and since 2006 also Chinese harbours.

Offline Robert Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 10:41:46 PM »
Dear Russell,

Please take into consideration right now Egypt is a country with a lot of political turmoil. It may get too hot for your taste and then I don't mean the weather....

My friend Piero Corona has quite some experience having worked in Suez as a civil engineer, doing a lot of shipspotting during his days off. Working in Egypt meant he had more leeway than an ordinary tourist but even so police and security personnel made it difficult for him to stay at the embankment. Situation has deteriorated rapidly since 2010. During the first half of 2011 he took his pictures stealthily from his hotelroom until he and all his collegues were evacuated from Egypt. For more info you can contact him at: [email protected]

Brgds,
Robert.

:o

Offline Russell Judge

• Supporter
  • Just can't stay away
  • Ex seagoing engineer 1965-1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 08:45:54 AM »
Many thanks to all the posters out there. It sounds like it will be unwise to visit with the political situation as is. Thnaks for all your advice
Russ

Offline Roacheren

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 07:27:28 AM »
Egypt is truly a great place to visit where you could explore lots of major tourist attractions. And one of these is Suez Canal. It is an awesome place to visit for having great fun with your family and friends.

Offline Nico J. Ouwehand

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nationaalsleepvaartmuseum.nl
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 07:42:12 PM »
Some seven years ago I made a trip on the cruiseship Sapphire (ex Italia). One of the waiters on board had an uncle who worked for the Suezcanal Company. As I was (and still am) interested in the old Suezcanal tugs pre 1956 I asked him whether he could arrange some pics. Some months later I received mail that only because of my question the waiter was put into jail for several weeks. The Egyptians assumed that he was working for a foreign secret agent! Don't play 007 in Egypt, certainly not nowadays.
Nico J. Ouwehand (National Towage Museum - Maassluis- Holland)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk