Author Topic: Your views on this news story.  (Read 2786 times)

Offline steve*f

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • SHIPS AND BOATS IN LONDON
Your views on this news story.
« on: April 18, 2012, 06:27:24 PM »
An interesting read here http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/apr/16/02-olympic-venues-row-security-photography

Although this is a tourist landmark, with the the up comming Olympic Games in the City I thought could the police or nearby security stop you taking a photo of a ship when you were on public land?

Just interested in peoples opinions.

Regards
Steve
Why not take a look at my blog "SHIPS AND BOATS IN LONDON". It's my take on the river traffic in the City.
http://thamesvessels.blogspot.com/

Offline John Jones

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Your views on this news story.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 10:26:54 PM »
Hi Steve,

I don't think they 'could' legitimately stop you but am pretty sure that they will try to anyway. Might be an interesting year for ship photography on the Thames, especially in the upper reaches close to the Olympics and H.M. the Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations.

I'm going to 'keep calm and carry on'. After all, I've been photographing ships on this river for the last thirty or so years and have been paying taxes all that time which will go towards funding these events so will take a picture or two for the album if I like ;-)

Best Regards
John J.
Any views expressed in the forum are my own personal opinions and are not to be taken as those of members of the admin team or of the site owners.

Clydee

Re: Your views on this news story.
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 05:04:38 AM »
Hi Steve

It is a world wide problem!  Some people use the word "Security"  to attempt to demonstrate assumed power and importance.

Sometimes I am told it is OK to photograph ships but not "Port facilities".  I try and keep cool and point out that far more detail than I could photograph can be found on Google Earth.  Then some of them just smile and say they are only doing what their boss told them to do.  And we each keep on doing what we were doing.

Sometimes  a diplomatic retreat is the best option.  But if anyone tried to take my camera I would threaten to have them charged with assault and/or attempted theft.  Perhaps that may cause them to think about the validity of the law they quote.  I have not yet been put to the test on this plan

Best regards
Clyde

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk