Author Topic: Petition to save the MS PACIFIC  (Read 7698 times)

Offline Heinu Sch

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
Petition to save the MS PACIFIC
« on: March 12, 2012, 09:10:08 PM »
Hi All,

As you might have heard the MS PACIFIC (ex PACIFIC PRINCESS, IMO 7018563) has been sold for scrap.

So, for what it

Offline rd77

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Petition to save the MS PACIFIC
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 10:42:14 AM »
I have to ask: why?  ??? She is a wreck inside and out. Her interiors are a mess and she has lots of problems with rust and faulty plumbing. Her only significance is an appearance in an old TV series and she was one of the early 70s "white wedge" ships. That's all. She lasted over 40 years, which is excellent and now it's "game over".
I think it is better to concentrate on making sure that the existing preserved passenger ships, such as the QUEEN MARY and the ROTTERDAM, are sustained.

Brgds.
Ralph

Offline Heinu Sch

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 11:17:59 PM »
Hi Ralph,

Yes, I am sure she needs a lot of work done, lay-up for 3 years isn't kind to any ship.

Her appearance in the Love Boat series is what made her the symbol of the early years of cruising. The word cruise in the late 1970's and 80's brought the PACIFIC PRINCESS to mind. Just like the QUEEN MARY is symbol of the great inter war era liners, the PACIFIC is the symbol of the dawn of cruising.

I am all for preserving the QUEEN MARY and ROTTERDAM (even the QUEEN ELIZABETH 2), but what is wrong with having another ship preserved? As for rust and plumbing problems, the same can be said about the QUEEN MARY.

The only difference between the PACIFIC and the above mentioned liners, is that the PACIFIC still has a good chance of being a financial success.

Regards,
Heinu

Offline rd77

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 09:53:36 AM »
Hi Heinu,

The PACIFIC was already in a very poor state when she was sailing for Pullmantur in the early 00s. Lots of rust, faulty plumbing, etc, etc. The repairs in Genoa then became so expensive that the vessel's owners could not afford the bill. So, now shed still has many problems and in addition she is a mess because of a half-finished refit.
I have read that it could cost up to USD 40 mln to bring her back to a decent state.

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 01:58:09 PM »
Most preservation projects involving large vessels are totally unviable. Not only is there the cost of getting ships up to scratch (approx $40m in this case) there are the costs of regular maintenance and berthing fees, etc. Then there is all the red tape involved in finding a permanent berth. Most ports would not consider the idea, or they would make it financially unrealistic. Costs, logistics and regulatory aspects are always underestimated or not checked thoroughly, usually by people with no experience of such things. Above all else, who is going to stupid enough to put money into such a project especially in the current financial climate.

Its a non-starter and I'm afraid I won't be supporting it.

Phil
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 03:44:46 PM by Phil English »

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 05:18:42 PM »

... Then there is all the red tape involved in finding a permanent berth. Most ports would not consider the idea, or they would make it financially unrealistic...

Phil

That's, I think, the biggest obstacle to overcome, finding a permanent berth for her (apart from all the costs for renovation, maintenance etc. once you've found one). Mona Lisa and Maxim Gorkiy are good examples. Hamburg Senate was only willing to give Maxim Gorkiy a berth somewhere in the port's remote areas at a rather high berthing fee. That's why the investor backed out and she was finally sold for scrap...

brgds,
Jens

Offline Robert Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 07:13:19 PM »
Apparently there are not so many people interested in preserving this vessel since so far there are 21 signatories whilst the aim is 10,000....
The cost of preserving such a vessel is enormous. I'd like to remind you that the total cost for the "Rotterdam" was Euros 300 million. In older ships the presence of asbestos is a big stumbleblock. And mind you: the "Rotterdam" was in a fair state.
The project lead to the near bankruptcy of the building society which took it on. Although she's quite popular it will be impossible to become a commercial success. On the insistence of the authorities the vessel was officially put up for sale. Surprise, surprise: nobody is interested.

Brgds,
Robert.
 ::)

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 07:28:04 PM »
The Rotterdam is up for sale? Is she still open to the public (hotel, bars etc.)?
Well, I'd be interested to buy her... if I had a bank account like Bill Gates...:-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk