Author Topic: Change IMO number  (Read 21482 times)

Offline Hannes van Rijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/userinfo.php?uid=20488
Change IMO number
« on: February 08, 2012, 09:56:41 AM »
Imo the number of the Dutch Tender/Pilot vessel 'Jan van Gent' no longer exists.
She has only a MMSI  number:244771000 and a Callsign:PFAN

Rgds:Hannes.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 10:05:06 AM by Hannes van Rijn »

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Change IMO number
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 01:50:05 PM »
Once an IMO number is allocated it is always valid with the vessel in question.  I do not think that IMO numbers are "withdrawn" (except where the original issue was an error).

Whether its size, ownership, type and operational area legally require the number to be shown is a different matter.  MMSI and c/s may well change in the future - the IMO number will not.

David

Offline Trucker001

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 02:17:06 PM »
  I just looked at highlanders imo number and it was taken from her and given to stena transit .. what gives there
:lol:  :-D  :-D

BobS

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 03:02:24 PM »
That pilot boat would never have had an IMO number. It is too small. The number quoted, if it is at all relevant, is probably some other official number

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 05:10:26 PM »
Trucker001: I just looked at highlanders imo number and it was taken from her and given to stena transit .. what gives there
It would be remarkable if HIGHLANDERS had ever been allocated 9469388 since such numbers were not being allocated until 2007 - HIGHLANDERS ex-STENA TRAVELLER would have been given her 9331189 in about 2004, when first ordered, along with her sister's 931177.  Occasionally an error is made in allocation, usually two ships turning out to be one-and-the-same or confusion with shipyard order-books.

Bob Scott: That pilot boat would never have had an IMO number. It is too small. The number quoted, if it is at all relevant, is probably some other official number

The Scheme, run by IHS-Fairplay, assigns IMO Ship Numbers to propelled, sea-going merchant ships of 100gt and over, covered by SOLAS.  The IMO's coverage does not directly apply to a range of other vessels (eg fishing, non-powered ships, pleasure yachts, lightships, SAR vessels, hopper barges, hydrofoils, air cushion vehicles, floating docks, warships and wooden ships).  But IHSF has extended the Scheme on a voluntary basis to include many of these shiptypes and vessels below 100gt.  Shipbuilders and/or owners often request IMO numbers for such vessels and they are issued accordingly.  They remain issued "for life" as with any other IMO number.

JAN VAN GENT of 1969 was indeed issued 8434051.  It is possible that she was originally classed by LR and therefore given a LR number, which consequently morphed into an IMO number in 1987, or that it was requested by her owners.  I think the reason the number has disappeared from some databases is that IHS-Fairplay wrongly deleted her from active vessels as "Continued Existence In Doubt".

David
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 05:12:10 PM by davidships »

Offline Hannes van Rijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 06:38:24 PM »
Ship Name:JAN VAN GENT   
Shiptype:Pilot Vessel   
LR/IMO Ship No.   8434051   
Gross Tonnage:61   
Call Sign:PFAN   
Deadweight:0   
MMSI No.
Year of Build:1969   
Flag:Netherlands
According lloyds the vessel no Longer Meets IHSF Criteria.
Not recorded / Unknown since 1997-11         
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 06:30:05 AM by Hannes van Rijn »

Offline Chris Howell

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 07:19:33 PM »
Recently I posted some photos of the small tug Levanter.

The owners gave me the IMO number of 374496.

Although I am awaiting confirmation,I mentioned IMO numbers have 7 digits, is there though a 6 digit system for small vessels ?

I think he has confused the NZ MSA number as being the IMO number.
Notes on album
1. All postings are photography of Chris Howell except where stated taken from 1972 to date.
2. Photographs taken by others are credited as owned collection and photographers name where known and I own the copyright or the person mentioned in the text.

Offline Hannes van Rijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 07:32:36 PM »
Hi Chris

You right about the seven digits in a IMO Number.Even the old ID numbers have 7 digits.
I never seen a IMO number with 6 digits.
I think they mentioned the NZ MSA number.

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 08:36:33 PM »
Yes Chris, it's a national official number.  374496 was certainly her Australian number when she was registered at Brisbane. 
http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/explore/migration/british-ships/search-results.asp?tname=&tyear=&offset=13175
NZ Register not online, I think, but could well be that they and Oz continue the ex-British numbering sequence and don't issue new numbers on transfer.
Anyway, definitely not an IMO number - and she doesn't have one.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk