Author Topic: Deletions  (Read 14800 times)

Offline dirk septer

• Home away from home
  • Navigare necesse est
    • View Profile
Re: Deletions
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2013, 01:56:21 PM »
The reason for some deletions are obvious; others certainly are not.
A number of times after again one or more of my pics were deleted
I even considered to delete all my 1600 or so pics posted on Shipspotting.
I certainly would like to be given a reason when any of pics are being
deleted.
Living on the west coast of Canada, a lot of my pics show shipping in
inclement weather: fog, drizzle, rain etc. Unfortunately, the admin people
who deleted many of my "inclement weather" pics, which were clear, not
blurred and totally in focus, did not appreciate the weather conditions these
vessels were sailing in.

Pity....

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2013, 07:52:05 PM »
It is being dealt with.

Thanks, Ken.
David

PS - can you move this thread to the "Site Related", where it will be easier to find in the future?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 07:54:33 PM by davidships »

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2013, 09:04:44 PM »
Only a guess here but I would suspect http://www.shipspotting.com/photos/removed/big/3/3/3/1736333.jpg is almost identical to http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1736330.
The same maybe applies to the other photos.
Bloody good photos though. Well done!

BCFS

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2013, 04:53:05 AM »
Funny to see this as a recent topic...

As a photographic contributor of BC Ferries vessels to this site since March 2006, I had two photographs of the NORTHERN EXPEDITION deleted without any explanation as to why. After sending an e-mail to staff of this site last Tuesday asking for clarification, it turns out I wasted even more of my time as nobody had the courtesy to even send a response.

Because of that, this afternoon, I took time out of my day to individually delete every single photograph I've contributed to this site over the last seven years.

As a senior moderator of a large website dedicated to North American shipping, I am appalled by this lack of communication displayed by "staff" here, and will not be returning.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 05:08:39 AM by Scott A »

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2013, 08:03:55 AM »
That's sad, when a member of 7 years feels the need to delete all his contributions, when a simple email acknowledgement may have averted this.
Meanwhile, yesterday's complaint re deletions from Craig Feierabend have apparently been deleted, possibly because the member may have realised that his case was not the admins' fault.
Now, today he is complaining that his photo of Port Pegasus has not had enough views.
Every now and then, I actually feel sorry for the admins and today I think is one of the "now" days!

Offline Groovypict

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2013, 09:00:26 AM »
Agree, it is sad when a long standing member feels the need to delete and leave. I have been following the deletions forums with interest and after trying to find photos considered for deletion like others on here I discovered I also had a few deleted without my knowledge and they didn't seem that bad to me, just don't fit the policies of this site. This prompted a look back through some of my postings to see how they compare and I think there are a number there that are not the best and I was thinking to remove them.
Perhaps my comment re Port Pegasus could have been worded better; anyway I was just curious to see what makes a photo interesting or appealing and to do it with as short a comment as possible attached to the photo. As it was a low scorer compared to others, I thought a bit of feedback might be of help in deciding what to post in future, after all the site is about sharing and it is nice if you can share what others would like to see. I take photos from many angles but of course don't post them all.
As for my previous deletions comment being deleted, yes I eventually saw why one of my photos was deleted; I had accidentally uploaded 2 similar photos of the same ship.

Offline hmc111

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2013, 03:18:48 PM »
Hello
I don`t spend that much time on the site (I have little available time).
But might I suggest an category for deleted pictures with no sorting,
but with a voting box for each photo and if a photo gets a certain
number of votes it gets reinstated.
I`ve seen a few photos that I found interesting that were deleted for
various reasons.
It really doesn`t matter if the photo is perfect or not if you find the
subject interesting and it is of something you can`t see for yourself.
The reason most are here on the site is to experience through others
what we can`t experience personally.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk