Author Topic: Restoration of old photos  (Read 4619 times)

Clydee

Restoration of old photos
« on: January 31, 2012, 08:34:56 AM »

Gordy, Chris, Malcolm, Bob and others have added a new dimension to the site with the wonderful photos that they have uploaded.  It is obvious that photos of historical interest have great attraction for shipping enthusiasts.  They have helped with the rapid expansion of the site.

I asked Gordy if he would describe the processes he uses for display to members.  He was pleased to help.  See below.

Perhaps others could also contribute.  The technology is beyond my capability, and I do not have access to the extensive sources they have.  But it makes fascinating reading!

Clyde

PROCESSES USED BY GORDY

In regards to the  procedure I am using to clean up and restore photo's, I use three programs on just about everyone, I use Photo shop CS5, Picasa and Lightroom 3. Its not too difficult but its slow and tedious. A lot of the old photo's usually have scratches, spots, blotches and refracted light.

The first job is to enlarge the photo...if its a large photo to begin with then its easier to reduce and it is better for clarity.

I use a combination of Picassa and Photo shop in the restoration work, some times it takes quite a bit to remove the multitude  of marks etc on some old pics. This can be slow and tedious as I said but to make a photo look good it has to be done other wise it just doesnt come up too good.

As I said, I blow the photo up big when I am working on it. Its easier and with tools like the content aware tool plus another I can lasso the more open accessible marks and sections in one hit but much harder when the scratches and blotches are in among-st the rigging and gear.

Once I have cleaned it up I then use Adobe Lightroom, to complete the process. It makes the old photo's the sharper & clearer, also gives them a glossy look.

I also add more sky, more to the sides to even it up and more sea on the bottom. Finally I try to keep the horizon straight to make the pic more appealing. If you have Photoshop Cs5, lightroom 3 and Picassa, find some old photo's and practice, I have been at it a few years now Clyde and use some great tools plus worked out a number of shortcuts making it less of a soul destroying job lol

Its not bad but fiddly diddly though, lots of patience lol

Hope I have helped, I hope you have a go at it, all the best mate

GB

Gordy

BobS

Re: Restoration of old photos
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 01:42:19 PM »
Fortunately, as it turns out, my old slides (I don

Offline Robbie

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 09:48:12 AM »
As I am about to start the lengthy task of editing photo's I have scanned I would like to know how long on average you spend touching up an image before it is publishable on a website etc? I realise the time will varie depending on how much dust is on the image but a ball park figure would be interesting.

Regards Robbie

Offline Gordy

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 01:02:38 PM »
Hi Robbie, an answer could vary, it all depends on the condition and state the old photo is in, a quick one for me could be a half hour or so ( am talking about old, photos with marks, scratches, faded area's etc.)

Those that are relatively free of a lot of those thing I have mentioned wouldnt take long but some, I have spent days on. I keep going back, remove a little bit more at a time to allow the true image to appear. It all depends on whether one enjoys it or not. If I can do four a day I am happy, thats my average. I have to save time for other things.

Thats my answer Robbie plus, use a good program like Adobe, Picasa, or some of the others and learn how to use their tools, if you do that makes it a lot quicker, for instance if an area is severely marked, you can copy from another area and merge it in with the bad section and that saves a lot of time but, if your working in the area of the rigging with marks spread all over the place one has to just plod along, doing tiny sections at a time. I am retired so I dont have many problems with the time angle except if I am on too long, the wife can let me know about it lolol

Cheers and GB

Gordy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk