Author Topic: Ship measurements comparison  (Read 6230 times)

Offline peterredd

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Ship measurements comparison
« on: January 29, 2012, 08:13:16 AM »
OK you can call me uniformed but i was always under the impression
that the ships that visited Esperance [home town] were Cape Class or Panamax..After reading the link below i realize how wrong i have been.. The Largest ships to berth here in Esperance are 290-300 metres..I always referred to them as Cape class Is there such a class still..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ship_measurements_comparison.svg

Cheers
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 08:14:55 AM by peterredd »
Just love ships

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Ship measurements comparison
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 09:18:43 AM »
"Cape class" could refer to capesize, but then again "290-300 m" sounds like Panamax (max. length 294 m).

Offline peterredd

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 10:24:51 AM »
Thanks Tuomas i always thought pamamax ship were a lot smaller vessels.. Well iam learning

Cheers
Just love ships

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 03:12:12 PM »
Tuomas & Peter

Pana-max is usually referred to as the max width permitted to pass,,32.2 m not the max length,which is correctly  294 m ,,so a pnanamax vessel can be very well only a 223 m long bulker with a width of 32 m !!!
Handsize usually is around 30.000 tonnes bulker (UBC Sacramento for example)
next is I think supra-size,,those new in the range of 50-55.000 tonnes
then suez size,,not sure the exact tonnes,,but somehwere in the 70-80.000 tonnes
and capesize,,all above,which don,t fit either through the panama nor the suez
brgds
capt ted
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 07:46:37 PM »
You may want to triple that, captain. Typical Suezmax vessels have a deadweight tonnage of about 240,000 tons.

There's a number of "max" categories limited by ports and seaways, but Panamax and Suezmax are probably the most commonly used. In theory you could have a "max" category for every port in the world. Aframax, Handymax and Supramax are not limited by route, but the terms are used in the shipping market.

When ships become too long to photograph, you could have a telephotomax...

Offline Bj

• Supporter
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 09:16:09 PM »
Acutally Tuomas
Suex max does not even exist, hear that now from another Capt,, Pana-masx refers only to the width,,never to the length.
In the chartering market there are a lot things called different names,,but in gerneral we talking terms used for ship types itself and not what they call it in charterparties or whatever.
Handysize is clearly that what I sail, around 30.000 tonnes,,this Supra-max is actually a new class,,, 50-55.000 tonnes,,,
all this names coming actually from rather old times,, todays types,,with the clear lines from before ,are awash,, it is hard to define,, but one thing is sure,,, pana-max is 32,2m width and never based on the length

and the suez goes by draft,,,not by tonnage,,I mentioned tonnage in order to show the approx size. The suez was widened and deepened and therefore I really don,t know anymore
what the max possible would be for that nowadays.
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline John Jones

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 10:16:45 PM »
Putting ships into different 'max' size classes is always difficult. As Tuomas says you could actually invent a xxx-max size for every port!

However there are some standard industry terms for different size classes of merchant ships, usually measured in DWT tonnes for dry bulks.

The tendency over time is for ship sizes to increase, therefore in addition to the 'Handysize' bulk carrier of abt 15,000-35,000 DWT the 'Handymax' was developed with a tonnage of up to around 49,000 DWT.

Subsequently geared bulkers of 50,000+ DWT became popular, referred to as 'Supramaxes'. The most popular size for these today are in the region of 56-58,000 DWT though some are being built in the 60,000 DWT range.

The 'Panamax' is as Capt. Ted points out bounded very much by the maximum beam of 32.24m currently permissable in the Panama Canal rather than by length. These ships are usually 7 hold/7 hatch gearless designs (with a few exceptions) and range from arnd 69,000-76,000 DWT.

A popular size on order at the moment is referred to as the 'Kamsarmax' of arnd 79,000-82,000 DWT which is basically an increased length (229m) Panamax beamed vessel capable of meeting the maximum size for trading to port of Kamsar in Equatorial New Guinea.

Next up bulkers are 'Post-Panamaxes' with post-panamax beam and arnd 90,000-100,000 DWT.

Above this we have 'Mini-Capes', abt 115,000-125,000 DWT.

Then 'Capesize' which in the 1980's was arnd 140,000-150,000 DWT but like all ships has upsized, the most common today being arnd 170,000-180,000 DWT but larger ones being ordered all the time.

'Suezmax' size refers exclusively to tankers and relates to the largest size able to transit the Suez Canal FULLY LOADED. This is a draught restriction and ships are in the range of 140,000-160,000 DWT and 1 million barrels capacity. Definitely 240,000 DWT is NOT a Suezmax tanker, and not actually a standard size for a tanker. They tend to jump from 'Suezmax' size to 'VLCC' size of 280,000-320,000 DWT and 2 million plus barrels capacity.

Another tanker specific designation is the 'Aframax', from arnd 90,000-118,000 DWT. This name does not relate to trading area but comes from the original Average Freight Rate Assessment (AFRA) tanker rate system which was based on a 79,999 DWT ship.

There are of course many other 'standard' size classifications for all sorts of vessels, its quite a complicated, but interesting topic!

Best Regards
John J.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 10:32:12 PM by John Jones »
Any views expressed in the forum are my own personal opinions and are not to be taken as those of members of the admin team or of the site owners.

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 10:41:03 PM »
hi john

thanks alot for that posting
makes a clear now

brgds
capt ted

Offline peterredd

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 01:48:28 AM »
Thank You all gee there is a lot of knowledge there, I never knew there was so many. If you see the Photos i have posted from home port of Esperance you will see what size ships come here..

It is a good topic of discussion and i have learnt a lot..

Cheers
Just love ships

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 03:53:31 AM »
Yeah, thanks for corrections/clarifications.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk