Author Topic: Costa Concordia captain ignored orders to go back to the ship  (Read 6854 times)

Offline Lexor

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
Costa Concordia captain ignored orders to go back to the ship
« on: January 17, 2012, 04:32:24 PM »
A dramatic recording released revealing how captain was ordered back to sinking ship

Sky News link:
http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16150533

Unbelievable - but truth?

Regards Lexor

Offline Mats

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Costa Concordia captain ignored orders to go back to the ship
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 05:04:31 PM »
A disgrace!

Offline Tomas

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?cid=&uid=3166&orderby=hitsD
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 05:21:07 PM »
Embarrasing. Costa Cruises gonna work hard to restore their good name after this

Offline peterredd

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 09:24:13 PM »
I would say jail will be his next home

Cheers
Just love ships

Offline Steve Geronazzo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pbase.com/steve911/navires (Collection of best photos)
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 11:48:38 PM »
Just heard on the news that Captain Francesco Schettino received a prize in 2010 when  he was captain of the first cruise ship to arrive in Quebec City. At that time he was captain of the COSTA ATLANTICA.

http://tvanouvelles.ca/lcn/infos/lemonde/archives/2012/01/20120117-102157.html Source : TVA
Photo administrator for Great Lakes Bulkers and subcategories.

Offline Eric Leschevec

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 09:01:05 AM »
  When the ship starts to sink, its Woman and children first, AFTER the Captain. :)   

Offline Mats

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 02:03:22 PM »
Lloyd's List Intelligence hits Costa in the knees with this publication of old and new AIS data:

http://www.lloydslist.com/ll/sector/ship-operations/article389069.ece

"Both routes passed within a few hundred metres of each other and the tracking data, obtained through Lloyd

Offline Steve Geronazzo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pbase.com/steve911/navires (Collection of best photos)
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 04:31:29 PM »
I listened to the recording and one thought came to my mind... Bravo Commander De Falco!

So many time politicians, government workers, bureaucrats do their jobs and don't want to provoke anybody or make enemies so they close their eyes on 'offences' people may do. This commander didn't care about being polite... he told the captain of the ship to go back and help the people onboard.

It takes balls for what he did and it is refreshing to know that their are still people like that in the world.

I salute you Commander De Falco.

Steve Geronazo
Photo administrator for Great Lakes Bulkers and subcategories.

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 12:09:49 PM »
Steve

It may be so, but one thing so far as I know, there is no law that in written says that
the Master has to stay last. What he supposed to do ? 11 passengers at that time missing (if he was even aware of that), go back and wait until they are found,,or stay and wait
where he is. Most probably there comes a time where a Master has to decide , now it is time to get off,,or does he HAS to sacrifice his life for the sake of others which he even does not know where they are ? Surely nobody expects that a captain walks though the whole ship and checks cabin by cabin if there is still someone. As bad as it sounds,for that he has his crew.  However he has the authority and the command to give the abandon ship orders, if he still can do so.

a) the master has to leave ship last.
   (it could give situations where actually it would be bad, like taking
    the list of the vessel into account, could anyone really organize a rescue
    from the bridge or was it better from the water side ?)

b) also, to my knowledge, the coast guard can not order a Master around
   They do not know the ship, he does, or better said he should know and
   may be (hopefully) knows the situation better then the Coast Guard at that moment.
   Question is there,,what infos did he get/have. Did his officers report to him or
   were they also already off the ship.

c) If he did it right or wrong,,that is virtually a question in the air
   but surely it is a huge media hype to report that he refused. Would they
   have also reported it that strong if he would have gone back on board.
   Or as he claims that he actually was at the vessel, also when not on, to
   coordinate it better from there.

He stated that he fall of the bridge, and with a list like that, it could very well be or at the least extreme difficult to stay on.

I think in this matter it might be really better to wait for the final reports
And just on the side and not to the defense of the Master, to sit in an office in Rome (was it Rome ?) and order someone around is rather easy and makes sure a good media impression and cost nothing.

NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 03:39:06 PM »
Lexor

thanks for the link , First of all, I do not defend this Master in any way. what he did is
his buisiness and he has to deal with it.

I looked it through, it says almost clearly in each paragraph that it is understood,,but not that it is written law !!!
If it is morally ok,,that,s a matter of opinion and could be discussed and I personally believe it is wrong to leave. But it says he "MAY" be prosecuted and not he can and will based on this or that law. Also the reference of SOLAS is kind of lame, it regulates
the life saving equipment on board a ship, but it does not outline the duties of a Master pointedly beside he is in charge which is in the Muster rolls outlined. But also there it is that he is in command, but not that he has to leave the ship last.
His duty is to stay in command and be in command, but he has to base the very same command to abandon ship for example on informations other officers and crewmember give or in this case gave him. now the big question is, did he still have communication at the time or not and what info he got, if at all.
Also the issue with the CG, there is no law (to my knowledge) that they can order him back. If he should have gone back , yes,, I agree.
But there is no such law in "written" which says he leaves last to my knowledge in maritime law. How one wants to know as Master if I am last or not, on a passenger vessel with 1000s of people. On a freighter I might be able to count the 25 men into the boat,,but on a passenger vessel, virtually impossible I would say, and then we are back to the point,,what infos HE got from HIS officers and/or crew,, did he have contact with all of them at that time,,, most probably that is already in such a situation at least questionable.
Common thinking is that he should go last. However I would say there are situations where he even can not know if he is last or not,, special on a passenger vessel.
If this Captain now acted morally ok or not has nothing to do with the law. He claims he fall off the vessel, ok,, believe it or not is one matter, but now the law must prove that he really left the vessel willfully, He also seemingly said he tried to get back,, but could not. Again the law would have to prove he did not and not the other way around.
Presumed innocent until proven guilty.

As stated above,,morally,,thats a total other story, but the clear written law is not there.
And in my opinion ,also as Capt, can not be there because it would put one life higher or lower then the other. Does the Capt has to wait until he dies too ?  Or can he jump in the last moment, and if so,,does he have to go back, also knowing that may be he can not get out again ?

I would say it is a rather tricky situation and is from case to case different, but that is exactly the reason why it can not be written into law that he has to stay last.

NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk