Author Topic: Six Dead After COSTA CONCORDIA Runs Aground  (Read 83059 times)

Offline Kyle Stubbs

• Top Poster
  • Something something Danger Zone.
    • View Profile
    • Puget Ships
Six Dead After COSTA CONCORDIA Runs Aground
« on: January 14, 2012, 04:34:04 AM »
Just saw this article posted in my local news, haven't seen much else on it yet. Sounds pretty bad, six dead, and the remainder of those on board being evacuated from the vessel. The "position" of the ship off the island of Giglio is described as "worsening," which sounds rather ominous.

The article I saw is here:

Reports: Cruise Ship Aground Off Italy, 6 Dead

UPDATE:

A much more detailed article, Cruise Ship Runs Aground Off Italy; Deaths Reported is found on MSNBC.

This article includes a couple images of the vessels condition, and describes her as having a 20 degree list, but not in danger of sinking. Said of just over 4,200 people on board, several were thrown off when the accident happened, and the condition warranted an abandoned ship, first by lifeboat, and with increasing list, now by helicopter.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 04:39:39 AM by Kyle Stubbs »
"Action speaks louder than words but not nearly as often." -Mark Twain

Offline Glenn Kasner

• Top Poster
    • View Profile

Offline kyle pesely

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Re: Six Dead After COSTA CONCORDIA Runs Aground
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 06:10:09 AM »
this is the type of situation that you hear about in shipping from a hundred years ago.

people have lost their lives, a few officers and a captain are about to lose their careers, and Carnival is going to be paying out the future lawsuits from this for at least the next decade.

such a shame.

i can only begin to wonder what the scenario was here, and how much human error played a factor.

Offline kyle pesely

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 06:18:02 AM »
from the pictures it looks like shes just offshore, so i can only guess that if the sea wins this battle that she wont be completely submerged.

at that point you can only hope she doesnt roll over.

Offline Mike Cornwall

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 07:35:51 AM »
Have just seen on TV here that she has capsized. About a third of the hull is above water. But she is on her side.
Hilifta

Offline peterredd

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 08:07:32 AM »
this is the type of situation that you hear about in shipping from a hundred years ago.

people have lost their lives, a few officers and a captain are about to lose their careers, and Carnival is going to be paying out the future lawsuits from this for at least the next decade.

such a shame.

i can only begin to wonder what the scenario was here, and how much human error played a factor.

I agree what a mess up [putting it mildly] a lot of paper work has just been created..This day an age it makes one wonder how this can happen. Was no one on the bridge..
Just love ships

Offline Mats

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 08:25:43 AM »
Horrible.

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 09:20:24 AM »
German TV just reported that "at least 3 people died" in that tragic event. If Costa Concordia is already really lying on her side by now, I'm really happy that the evacuation of such an amount of passengers and crew seems to have worked very swift and well organized.
But this accident happened only some hundred yards off the shore. I still won't dare to imagine what will happen if one of these big cruise liners has an accident on the high sea (let's say like the Andrea Doria incident).:-o

Offline Jimmy Christie

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
    • Mostly Ships
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 09:29:41 AM »
German TV just reported that "at least 3 people died" in that tragic event. If Costa Concordia is already really lying on her side by now, I'm really happy that the evacuation of such an amount of passengers and crew seems to have worked very swift and well organized.
But this accident happened only some hundred yards off the shore. I still won't dare to imagine what will happen if one of these big cruise liners has an accident on the high sea (let's say like the Andrea Doria incident).:-o

As the news reports start to become based on fact rather than speculation it seems that the incident actually occurred well out to sea but that the Captain, aware that the ship had sustained serious damage, tried to get as close inshore as he could.  This may have inadvertently added to the problems by making Concordia take on more water and increasing the list.  It's clear that none of the lifeboats or tenders on the starboard side of the ship could be launched because of this.  The last 50 people were lifted off by helicopter.  It also seems that one of the dead was a male passenger who suffered a heart attack when he jumped into the water to attempt to swim for shore.

J

Offline Mats

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 10:06:48 AM »
A huge gash is visible on the hull:

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 10:19:30 AM »
Have just seen on TV here that she has capsized. About a third of the hull is above water. But she is on her side.

Shades of the Herald of Free Enterprise...

What an appalling situation to be caught up in.

Is this the biggest passenger ship casualty of all time? Must be.

Offline Cap'

• Aye aye Cap'
  • Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 10:26:09 AM »
Looking at the photo's on http://firenze.repubblica.it/cronaca/2012/01/14/foto/uno_squarcio_di_70_metri-28082517/1/ it looks like a large rock stuck in the hull!!!!!
Aye aye Cap'

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 10:50:15 AM »
I wonder how that could happen for a ship built in 2006.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk