Author Topic: Six Dead After COSTA CONCORDIA Runs Aground  (Read 83056 times)

Offline djvdschoot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Six Dead After COSTA CONCORDIA Runs Aground
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2012, 05:16:50 PM »
She's actually on her starboard side as the pictures clearly show.
The last position plots on the AIS show her approaching Giglio island at more than 15 knots which she would have to pass either on the west or east side in order to proceed to Savona, her destination. This seems like a navigational error.
The track and position relative to the island seems consistent with a gash on the port side.

Passenger vessels are normally designed in such a way that any water entering a compartment is equally distributed over the width of the vessel so that it doesn't develop any list (this would prevent life boat deployment). The design should allow for sufficient damage stability for a 2 or 3 compartment flooding.

However, damage over such a multitude of compartments exceeds the ships stability capacity.

Offline Ant

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2012, 05:31:52 PM »
Hi, again,
I read that some passegers felt "the ship hitting something" at dinner time.

Is that consistent with the AIS snapshot posted by djvdschoot?

AC

Offline kyle pesely

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2012, 06:14:37 PM »
this is the second incident involving a Concordia-class vessel in fourteen months.

I can only imagine that Carnival will try refloat her asap and get her out if the direct view out the public. I can only assume she'd go to back to her builders yard since it's just across the Ligurian Sea.  having a vessel sink with loss of life is bad enough. having it happen right where the public can watch must be a nightmare.

im sure Mickey Arison won't be sleeping for a while.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 06:19:13 PM by kyle pesely »

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2012, 07:20:06 PM »
Have just seen on TV here that she has capsized. About a third of the hull is above water. But she is on her side.

Shades of the Herald of Free Enterprise...

What an appalling situation to be caught up in.

Is this the biggest passenger ship casualty of all time? Must be.

The biggest passenger ship casualty is the sinking of Wilhelm Gustloff on January 30, 1945. Over 9,000 dead...

I think he may have been referring to ship size, in which case, this is likely the largest passenger ship so far to "sink."

That's indeed what I meant, size of ship as opposed to numbers of fatalities.

Offline holedrille

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2012, 07:46:49 PM »
As for refloating her, this is going to be interesting. At least they can mend the hole, which is fortuitously above water! They will have to take the large rock out first.
Then there must be hundreds of holes to seal in the deck which would normally be above water level.
She is a bit big to parbuckle, and what would they tie the lines to on the offshore side. Lots of blxxxy big anchors? We have yet to hear the paranoid cries of fouling of the environment and wildlife with hundreds of tons of fuel and lubricating oil, they will probably start tomorrow. What odds her being broken up on the spot?
I watch with fascination.
Holedriller

Offline Steve Geronazzo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pbase.com/steve911/navires (Collection of best photos)
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2012, 08:59:05 PM »
12 Canadians onboard. 12 Canadiens
Photo administrator for Great Lakes Bulkers and subcategories.

Offline Toby Tofaute

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2012, 10:14:12 PM »
according to german media, the Master of the Vessel and the 1st Deck Officer got arrested with the suspicion of negligent homicide, also one fact came out that he and the 1st Officer left the stricken vessel before the last passenger.

It will be intersting to find the cause for the tragedy.

link unfortunatly only in german

http://www.heute.de/ZDFheute/inhalt/27/0,3672,8449147,00.html

Offline Lysfoss

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fazer@yahoo.com
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2012, 10:27:41 PM »
Hi

Captain and first officer held on multiple manslaughter charges and abandon
Ship while other passengers were on danger!!

Patryk

Offline Lysfoss

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2012, 11:41:55 PM »
Hey

Ur thread was processing same time as mine so sorry to repeat
Same news!! I didn't see ur thread so that's why u posted. I just read
On BBC.co.uk. Regards the ship I think she be broken up were she is??

Patryk

Offline stantheman

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2012, 11:44:45 PM »
Was there a Pilot on this ship at the time she hit the reef? Any cruise ship I've been on had a Pilot when coming into port.

Offline Ant

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2012, 12:05:02 AM »
Hi,

The wasn't heading to port (in that island).

The accident happened north (4 miles?) of Giglio Port. After hitting the bottom, the captain try to get close of the harbour in order to facilitate the evacution.

AC

Offline Lysfoss

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2012, 12:49:19 AM »
Hey

I deffo wanna hear a recording from the black box!!
This should be broadcast public and give people a better
Understanding to what's happened!! To many conflicting
Story's and we have a right to know! do u agree?

Patryk

Offline peterredd

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2012, 07:47:57 AM »
this is the second incident involving a Concordia-class vessel in fourteen months.

I can only imagine that Carnival will try refloat her asap and get her out if the direct view out the public. I can only assume she'd go to back to her builders yard since it's just across the Ligurian Sea.  having a vessel sink with loss of life is bad enough. having it happen right where the public can watch must be a nightmare.

im sure Mickey Arison won't be sleeping for a while.

Yes i agree imagine having the advertisement for your shipping line, what happens to all the passengers with no passports no money no nothing with them.. This is a logistical nightmare for this company..This will cost the company a fortune and a long long time to settle the many lawsuits coming there way..

Cheers Peter
Just love ships

Offline Manuel Mohedano Torres

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • Calabrote

Offline Federico

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2012, 01:23:37 PM »
The unbelievable became reality, sad reality!

The unique thing to try to stop the fear of potential passengers is to underline that the human stupidity instead of the human error was at the base of this tragedy! Costa Cruises (part of Carnival as we know) is now in trouble because it is almost clear that the emergency was not managed in a good way and that evacuation was caothic! The position where is now laying the ship is not the rock stranding one but a volunteer one to avoid the ship sinking! At the end of the story this was unavoidable! It's a shame for every Italian seafarer to be associated to this accident! In Giglio Island is living the retired Commodore of Costa Cruises and public opinion now knows that on his suggestion to promote the island tourism Costa ships were passing close to shore using the whistle to salute the population of the island and promote the beauty! There are night movies from shore which are amazing but also unbelievable! Ship was passing in a hole between the main island and a rock maybe width 300 meters and with no water below! That is the point for which the absurd happened!
Mickey Arison and his pretorians are onboard his yacht in front of the stranded ship, while an epocal change in Costa Cruises fleet is on the horizion! All Fortuna and Serena Class ships will be transferred 99% to Carnival, registered in Panama and taking 2013-2014 booked passengers in the Caribbean destinations (on passengers volunteer adhesion)! Whale-tail funnel are supposed to be already at building stage! Costa already booked pax will be rescheduled on same itineraries on smaller Costa ships!

Unbeliavable!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk