Author Topic: What is this?  (Read 3974 times)

Offline Steve Geronazzo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pbase.com/steve911/navires (Collection of best photos)
What is this?
« on: January 09, 2012, 12:47:27 AM »
Hi all,

I was looking at the aft section of the ATLANTIIC ERIE today and noticed bubbling water at the waterline. After a few minutes I saw an employee change the position of this contraption that is underwater and making bubbles. I assume it is hooked up to a pump and is used to stop the formation of ice but wonder do all ships in winter layup do this?!?!?

Look at the attached photos.

Any information would be appreciated.

Steve Geronazzo
Photo administrator for Great Lakes Bulkers and subcategories.

Offline Mac Mackay

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Shipfax
Re: What is this?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 03:06:35 AM »
Hi Steve
Yes you it right it is an ice bubbler, powered by an air compressor. I have seen pictures from the 1950s where it was being used, so it has been around a long time.
It would only be used where they don't want the ship frozen in, or if they are going to send divers down to do work on the prop area.
The icebreaker Louis S. St-Laurent has an ice bubbler system mounted in the ship, which is quite impressive when it is running.
Mac

Offline Steve Geronazzo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pbase.com/steve911/navires (Collection of best photos)
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 03:09:54 AM »
Hi Mac,

Thanks for confirming what I thought. I wonder if they are going to do any work around the propeller area during the winter. I guess I'll have to check it out.

Steve
Photo administrator for Great Lakes Bulkers and subcategories.

Shiphotos

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 03:13:32 AM »
Steve:

Keeping an ice-free, or minimum thickness of ice, by using a bubbler also prevents damage to the prop and rudder.

Back in the 50's and 60's my father and his crew on the Scott Misener had to saw the ice and remove it by hand.  And in those days the ice was thicker!

Paul

BobS

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 09:38:45 AM »
To aid icebreaking efficiency, many Russian, Finnish and Swedish icebreakers have integral bubbling systems with compressed air jets built into their hulls, below the waterline
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 09:41:36 AM by Bob Scott »

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 09:48:25 AM »
To aid icebreaking efficiency, many Russian, Finnish and Swedish icebreakers have integral bubbling systems with compressed air jets built into their hulls, below the waterline

You need a bit more bubbles for that...

Offline Jean Hemond

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jeanhemond.com/
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 04:58:08 PM »
Likely the ERIE crew were keeping the prop/steering/nozzle area clear of ice for some inspection or maintenance (by local divers) while waiting for elevators to load grain.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk