Author Topic: Comments on photos  (Read 4704 times)

Offline Clive Harvey

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Comments on photos
« on: January 05, 2012, 10:51:04 AM »
Yesterday I posted a query on a photo taken by Bob Scott of Canberra just before she resumed service after her time transporting troops to and from the Falklands. My query was whether this particular picture met the required criteria given that her waterline is totally obscured and a tug, in the foreground, blocks the greater part of the ship. Today, I see that the photo remains in place but my query has been deleted. Why?
Clive Harvey

Offline Clive Harvey

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Comments on photos
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 01:46:46 PM »
Dear Mr Scott
Thank you for your reply explaining why my query regarding your picture of Canberra was deleted.
"I deleted it just because I could."
I have to confess that statement brought a smile to my face and I thought 'oh, the feeling of power!'
Now, believe it or not but I was being neither mischievous nor malicious. I have been aware of other pictures on the site where far more of the ship was visible and yet the picture has been deleted. Therefore I thought, as there is a comments box, that I could ask the question. After all there is often discussion about whether a picture should be deleted or not and such discussion/comments appear to come from all and sundry and not just Admin. I was not proposing that the picture should be deleted, after all as you may have noticed from my comment on the photo of the Saarstein, I like busy dockside photos.
Why be coy about me having removed my photos from the site. Yes, I did so because I found it tiresome when a good and interesting picture gets deleted and yet something rather more ordinary remains on the site.
Your comment regarding the accuracy of my writing was unwarranted and unnecessary and I would have thought it rather beneath you.

Clive Harvey

Offline Fergal Clohessy

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 03:26:33 PM »
where is the above mentioned post?!

Offline John Jones

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 03:57:56 PM »
where is the above mentioned post?!

I suspect Bob has taken the liberty of removing it, as is also his right to remove comments from his postings. I personally believe that it is important that members are able to do this of their own volition in case an abusive or inappropriate comment is added to their photo which is missed by an admin.

As for deciding which photos should be on the site or not, maybe you should consider volunteering as an admin. Clive?

Or in the meantime perhaps flag up pictures you find not fit for purpose to an admin. by private message rahter than making your criticisms public?

Best Regards
John Jones
Any views expressed in the forum are my own personal opinions and are not to be taken as those of members of the admin team or of the site owners.

Offline Clive Harvey

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 04:19:57 PM »
Dear Mr Jones
Thank you for your interesting comment suggesting that I put myself forward to be part of the Admin team. As you've not put one of those smiley faces after the suggestion I'll take it that you are not winding me up. In which case, Thank you again for suggesting it and I'll consider the idea.
Though I do wonder if some members of the admin team might groan at the idea and say "oh no, not him!"
My apologies, I had not realised that there was an alternative way of asking whether a picture conforms to the required criteria. I honestly thought that what I had done was the right way.
Regards
Clive Harvey

Offline Jarrod David

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 04:31:27 PM »
It seems to me that the comments issue is out in public because Mr Scott chose to make it a public issue. No offence to Mr Scott as a member it seems to be an issue with him and it is his right to bring this issue up.But my issue with this is when you are not sure whether your comments are are going to be criticized or not is a bit ridiculous.I can understand low quality photos being removed but my comments are my comments as long as its tasteful then leave them!I like to compliment a photographer  who has posted a nice photo what is wrong with that.It seems like you can't post anything anymore without it getting criticized to death or feel guilty because your comment is taking up to much space.Seems we are forgetting what this site is all about!I think Mr Harvey is correct for bringing it up because this is affecting all members not just one.We all need to get on the same page when it comes to comments :)

Jarrod
[color=0066FF]Jarrod David[/color][/b]

BobS

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 04:57:00 PM »
Jarrod: Perhaps the fact has been lost in the translation before it got to you that I did not start this "in public" thing . Clive Harvey did because he did not give me time to answer his PM before he started this thread.
In the meantime, I suspect it would not just be members of the admin team that might groan at the idea of Clive becoming an Admin and say "Oh no, not him!"
Also in the meantime, while this site enables me to delete comments to my photos that I might not like, I will continue to exercise my right and ability to do so as and when I see fit.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 05:00:12 PM by Bob Scott »

Offline Jarrod David

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 05:14:20 PM »
Got you Bob thanks for clarifying!It is within your right..

Jarrod
[color=0066FF]Jarrod David[/color][/b]

Offline victor radio74

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 05:22:46 PM »
Sorry here I repeat my comment that Mr. Scott has deleted in the photo section comments about the CAMBERRA:
" Sorry Mr.Scott,I think the REAL Admins have the right to take the decision and we have the real right to give our opinions"

Offline victor radio74

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 05:33:38 PM »
I see it

Offline Fergal Clohessy

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 06:33:51 PM »
well, I choose to remain indifferent. but Bob, your attitude is insulting

Offline Steve Geronazzo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pbase.com/steve911/navires (Collection of best photos)
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 07:03:16 PM »
Hello all,

I've noticed lately that people are leaving comments to the photos section saying things like ' this photo should be deleted.... some of my pictures were deleted so this one should be deleted etc...'.

What people have to understand is that admins and webmasters are not online 24hrs/day and sometimes members view new pictures before we do. It may take a couple of hours or days depending on the time of day or what category the picture is uploaded to before one of us views the picture. For that reason we would ask members not to make 'deletion' comments on the photo page but rather contact the category admin or webmaster and flag that particular picture instead.

If members take things in their own hands nothing good can come from it. Members will 'argue' with eachother and this is not good for the website. Please remember that you can use the personal message system to contact another member if you absolutely have to discuss those types of things. Not all of our conversations should be done in 'public'. 

Best regards,

Steve Geronazzo
Photo administrator for Great Lakes Bulkers and subcategories.

Offline Tomas

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?cid=&uid=3166&orderby=hitsD
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 07:43:30 PM »
When a site grows to this gigantic size this one has, offcourse there will be meanings that differs. But arent we gentlemen/woman, should not this be dealt with in a polite matter?

The deletion-situation will never resolve. Hurt ego's/envy, what not.

Stick to the rules, and let the moderators do as best as they can.

Equality for all!

Tomas

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk