Author Topic: Pros and Cons about making sea time as a deck cadet on a Cruise Ship  (Read 2516 times)

Offline rikrdolevy

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
Hello there,,,

I would like to know what are the pros and cons about making the 12 months as a deck cadet onboard a cruise ship..

I would really appreciate any advises

Thanks

Offline maripaul

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Re: Pros and Cons about making sea time as a deck cadet on a Cruise Ship
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 03:27:17 AM »
Speaking as a Kings Point Deck Cadet from the mid '50s, I feel about three months on multiple  types of ships is best. On a passenger ship, you'll need to wear your uniform most of the time, and always be on your best behavior. You won't learn anything about cargo handling and operations, and the second mate on smaller vessels will generally take you under his wing and show you great details of navigation.

Ports are certainly more varied on the non passenger vessels as well. Shore time with the crews of the non-passenger vessels is always more "colorful".

Offline Piotrowski Remigiusz

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
Re: Pros and Cons about making sea time as a deck cadet on a Cruise Ship
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 12:50:43 AM »
If you start at cruise ships, probably you will stay at cruise ships. It is very difficult now to change type of the vessel you are working on. One day you will go as OOW and owner will check what types of the vessels you know.
As a cadet on cruise ship you will not learn too much. To get a practice it's better to join any cargo ship.
That's only my advice, you choose :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk