Author Topic: VLCC Eliza 9387578  (Read 9233 times)

Offline Jim H

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • http://jamesharper1@sky.com
VLCC Eliza 9387578
« on: December 10, 2011, 04:13:40 PM »
To supply all of the worlds crude-oil needs today, there are only about 3,500 tankers steaming out on the open seas or anchored at ports. Demand for their services far exceeds this supply, and, as a result, tanker rates have soared in the past year much faster than the price of crude oil itself. According to a report by McQuilling Services, an ocean-transport consultant, the world will be 26% short of big oil tankers, known as very large crude carriers, or VLCCs, through the end of this year. (A VLCC is a crude-oil tanker of at least 200,000 tons deadweight. It is big, larger than an aircraft carrier.) When you consider not just the number of tankers afloat but also the extent to which they are actually available due to port congestion, the supertanker industry appears even more tonnage deficient, according to a Bloomberg report on the McQuilling finding.
If the above is the case why has VLCC Eliza 9387578 been at anchor in the nab anchorage since 20/11/11 after discharging at fawley.
:-o ... :lol:

Offline Mats

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: VLCC Eliza 9387578
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 11:48:57 AM »
There are too many large tankers these days - not too few. Some say the overcapacity exceeds 15 percent. This means rates are very low and owners have begun putting some VLCCs in layup.

Offline rd77

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 03:08:18 PM »
JimH: I wonder what your source is for that report (and how old it is), as it is indeed simply not true, as Mats rightly points out.

Many major oil tanker owners are already facing financial difficulties/restructuring due to the depressed condition of the market (see Frontline for example). Major owners like BW have put several VLCC's into cold lay-up, for example in Malaysia.

The market is actually that bad that even not-too-old double hull VLCC's are now starting to be scrapped (so far only the single-hulled VLCC's went for scrap). Just last week, Mitsui OSK of Japan sold the 1995(!)-built double-hulled VLCC  ATLANTIC LIBERTY (IMO 9106156) for scrap:

http://www.crewing.biz.ua/Article63150.html

Brgds.
Ralph

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 08:17:27 PM »
Hi Guys

Eliza left Nab anchorage 19:40 tonight, AIS destination given as London......very odd as she is empty.   Remains to be seen where she actually goes.

Allan

Offline Jim H

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • http://jamesharper1@sky.com
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 09:33:03 PM »
I may have got some old info and i apologise, just thought it unusual for a 2008 built to idle for so long, and Nab anchorage does not appear to be a ideal lay up area. See from previous post appears to be on the move now. :)
:-o ... :lol:

Offline John Jones

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 10:59:59 PM »
To supply all of the worlds crude-oil needs today, there are only about 3,500 tankers steaming out on the open seas or anchored at ports. Demand for their services far exceeds this supply, and, as a result, tanker rates have soared in the past year much faster than the price of crude oil itself.

Jim,
Don't know where you gleaned that opinion from but I can tell you that it could only figure in a tanker owners wildest dreams at the moment, nothing could be further from the truth. Spot rates are on their knees, relatively modern tonnage is being sold for a pittance and anything older than mid 90's (even if double hulled) at a slight premium above scrap. Fear not, there will not be a shortage of supply over demand in the crude carrier market for many years to come given the current delivery schedule.
Best Regards
John J.
Any views expressed in the forum are my own personal opinions and are not to be taken as those of members of the admin team or of the site owners.

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 04:08:57 AM »
Allan,
In reply to your question; she was approximately 15 miles off Boulogne sur Mer at 04:00, still heading for London.
Maybe gone for the Christmas shopping!
Kelvin

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 10:33:02 AM »
Kelvin, you maybe correct.She's turned left to the Thames and extra checkout staff at Harvey Niks.

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 10:41:44 AM »
Hi Guys

Could be Southend anchorage to get out of the coming storms

Allan

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 10:46:42 AM »
Coming storms eh? A hard life for you lot.
A different life here; tomorrow I am off to a mountain top about 9Kms from Yemen.
It does look as if she may be going to the anchorage north of Margate.

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 01:46:09 PM »
Hi Kelvin

hard to know whether you are bragging or complaining .....only ships you'll get there are hardships.

p.s. glad to know you can still get AIS.   By the way we are going to get some MSC biggies in Soton next year, they are doing a tie-up with CMA, so we will lose a few of them and get some MSC's.  Cameras at the ready.......

Happy Christmas

Allan 

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 01:54:53 PM »
I imagine she's anchoring in Queens or Tongue anchorage for bunkers and maybe to await orders after that.

Brgds
Phil

Offline John Jones

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 02:28:59 PM »
I imagine she's anchoring in Queens or Tongue anchorage for bunkers and maybe to await orders after that.

Brgds
Phil

I'm sure Phil is correct there... the last time we had a VLCC in the Thames was the 'OCANA' about 5 yrs ago, arrived and sailed under the cover of darkness :(

Best Regards
John J.
Any views expressed in the forum are my own personal opinions and are not to be taken as those of members of the admin team or of the site owners.

Offline foggy

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 10:29:42 AM »
According to gCaptain, the Eliza will load North Sea crude around Christmas and then go to Korea.

http://gcaptain.com/majors-books-supertankers-ship/?35475

BRGDS / foggy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk