Author Topic: Bombshell! Vale: No More Ships! - Vale Beijing going to Rotterdam!  (Read 18032 times)

Offline Robert McDonald

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • http://www.oil-electric.com
O Glogo reports an announcement today by Vale's President Murilo Ferreira:  FERREIRA: I do not want to comment on the decisions of my predecessor. What I did was make the decision to recommend the sale of ships owned by the Valley (19 of 35 ordered). They were too costly capital of the company. The company has to focus its investments in nickel, iron ore, copper, coal and fertilizer, which is what she does well."

"STX Dutch company hired Smith, one of the most renowned in ship repair. This company is doing all the maintenance work of the vessel so that she can return to browsing. It is agreed that will be taken until tomorrow (today) about two thousand tons of bunker (fuel used in the marine industry).  After that, the tendency is for the technicians to release the ship to follow it to its destination in Rotterdam, no risk."

For the full story, see:  http://oglobo.globo.com/

The GLOBE: The company is negotiating the sale of ships?
FERREIRA: There is already quite advanced negotiations with a foreign company. But this will only be done if we have the assurance that the ships will be chartered to Vale sold for the long term.

Robert in Port Townsend
www.oil-electric.com
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 02:24:07 PM by Robert McDonald »

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Bombshell! Vale: No More Ships! - Vale Beijing going to Rotterdam!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 02:20:11 PM »
I think something is lost in translation here and therefore slightly misleading. Although it's true that Vale wishes to relinquish ownership of the 19 VLOCs they have on order, the plug is not being pulled altogether. What the article fails to mention is that the 19 ships will be sold with a long-term TC back to Vale. They are still coming folks :-))

Brgds
Phil

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 02:33:06 PM »
Of course
sold means not disappearing
we saw that the last year all over,,companies ordered 20 ships and sold 10-15 of the contracts or all 1x1  before the first welding rod was used on them.
An old saying in the german shipping : You make money through ordering ships not by running ships !!!
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 02:42:14 PM »
Capt.,

That might have been true 3-4 years ago when asset values were at a high point, but with a rapid drop in ship prices accross the board, owners are not reaping any rewards with asset play at the moment. Any resales in the last year or so have mainly been distressed sales where owners have defaulted on payments, or yard resales of owner cancellations. Vale probably won't make any money on reselling the ships, but they figure that the cost of running such vessels is prohibitive to their main commodities and mining business. Hence, they would rather sell them and TC back in

Brgds
Phil

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 03:53:56 PM »
Hi Phil
Of course they have the money in view, and that,s what I more or less say,, they make money through ships not with ships. Vale never really was into managing ships (as far as I know) that is another aspect most probably. On top of that wasn,t there a report that a VALE bulker was not  allowed to enter a chinese port ?  May be they know sooner or later they will have to call China again, and better let others deal with that problem then they ? 
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 04:11:01 PM »
Exactly. Owning and managing ships isn't their core activity Ted. The sale is not to make a quick buck, but to divest themselves of what has become a shackle round their neck. The Chinese aspect is complex, but effectively the Chinese are concerned with Vale using their own vessels to take away business from Chinese ships. Who knows, maybe it's a Chinese owner waiting in the wings to buy the vessels, then it will be problem solved !

Brgds
Phil

Offline golfo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 07:02:00 PM »
Due to the Chinese embargo on the Vale ships, Vale will sell them to other operators and charter them back in order to get around the embargo. The Chinese are well renowned for wanting to control the shipping themselves.

Offline Robert McDonald

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • http://www.oil-electric.com
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 07:50:16 PM »
The Chinese weren't bashful about carrying the paper and building the vessels ...

Robert in Port Townsend
www.oil-electric.com

Offline Fred Vloo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 07:53:27 PM »
One of Brazilian mining giant Vale's huge iron ore carriers, the world's biggest, will arrive fully-loaded in Asia for the first time next week with a stop in Singapore, according to Reuters Freightviews data, Reuters reports. The 388,000-tonne Berge Everest, which has been leased to Vale, is expected to arrive in Singapore on Dec. 15, but it was not clear whether the city-state was the ship's final destination.
China, Vale's main market, has yet to give these ships access to domestic ports, forcing the world's largest iron ore producer to send its vessels instead to Italy, Oman and other destinations. The vessel's arrival also comes amid rising concerns over the safety of these Valemax ships after a similar vessel, Vale Beijing, became disabled before setting sail on its maiden voyage. The crew of the Berge Everest has not formally requested to stop in Singapore, said a port official, and may decide instead to anchor far offshore for supplies and to refuel. Singapore's ports were wide and deep enough to handle the Berge Everest should the crew decide to dock, authorities said. A spokeswoman with Singapore-based Berge Bulk, the owner of the vessel, was not immediately available to comment on the ship's voyage plans. The Berge Everest, built by China's Bohai Shipbuilding Heavy Industry, is one of six mega bulk ships to be delivered to Vale so far this year. The company wants to build a fleet of as many as 35 mega vessels to sharply cut the cost of delivering the steel-making ingredient to China.
Source : PortNews

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 12:29:50 AM »
Looks to me that the chinese lernt rather quick the capitalism mechanics of the market, block what you can,,get what you can. If a european port would block a chinese ship to enter one would hear an uproar. I sailed the last 25 years mainly in Central and south american waters and noticed often that those countries are more and more friendly towards China. The problem what these countries seemingly don,t see,,that whatever China does is good for China and not necessarily good for them,,beside some offshore bank accounts for the top politicans. And one thing I hear now already the help cry to the north when the chinese cutthroat the story. 

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 12:33:37 AM »
ohhh forgot to add

Ich rief die boesen geister, nun werd ich sie nicht mehr los

From the german poem ZAUBERLING, Goethe

loosely translated : I called for the bad ghosts, now I can,t get them go away again

BobS

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 12:50:26 AM »
Sale-and-charter-back deals became commonplace when accountants took over the British and  West European shipping industries. "Get them off the balance sheet - especially if shipping is not our core business!"  That has been the accountants' call.
If the buyers of the Vale ships do turn out to be  Chinese-based, that will confirm that all the stuff about banning these ships from Chinese ports was pure protectionism. Since the second world war, the same situation has arisen with, first, Japan, then Korea and now China. All three depend for their industrial might on raw materials imported from abroad. Importing those raw materials in your own ships, rather than in some Johnny-foreigners' has a positive effect on your country's balance of payments figures. Accountants, economists and especially trade ministers (politicians) really like that!

« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 12:54:22 AM by Bob Scott »

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 03:55:13 PM »
This whole cracking of big ships ,like now the Vale Beijing reminds me of the 70,s when tankers became bigger and bigger until they broke apart, most of the time during loading or discharging. I sailed some containerships , 200 + m and we had on all of them somewhere cracks, very often in Ballast tanks and bunker tank areas. I heard from other Masters and officers who sailed on bigger ones that on those chinese mega container ships cracks "are the norm" . For me it is really not a surprise.  For the money matter, of course sell them and lease them back gives them also less responsibility. EXXON "sold" almost its entire fleet after the Exxon Valdes disaster in Alaska. That move freed them of the responsibility to have adequate manning and safety standards (not that Exxon Valdes did not have that ) and keeps them out in case disaster strucks. Vale has big export contracts to China, so, the suggestion that China will be around a few corner behind the buying is not too far off-thinking. 

Offline Klaas-Jan Brouwer

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 12:40:31 PM »
Hi all,

Any news already about which Vale vessel will visit the Port of Rotterdam? And more news about her ETA?
As what I can see right now, nothing to be expected yet...

Thanks!

Keep up the good work!

Klaas-Jan

Offline Fred Vloo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 02:03:05 PM »

Hi Klaas-Jan,

He's stil at the Baia de Sao Marcos opposite of Sao Luis - Brasil.
You can check this on Marinetraffic.com
The trip from Brasil to Rotterdam takes about 11/12 days.

Cheers Fred

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk