Author Topic: Site policy and admin's behaviour  (Read 13803 times)

BobS

Re: Site policy and admin's behaviour
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2011, 11:05:15 AM »
Well, Uwe.
You said: "And just as understandably tired the admins are of criticism, just as tired am I of being told off like I was but a misbehaving schoolboy".

With all your complaining you must have made yourself a bit of a thorn in the Admins' sides and you have, in your earlier fit of pique, removed all your photos. You have given the impression of being completely 'anti' Shipspotting.com.

So what do you expect?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 12:37:16 PM by Bob Scott »

Offline itsfoto

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 11:13:03 AM »
Bob,

I'd rather you would comment on what I am saying than the way I am doing it.
I've never called anybody foul names, not all admins are that polite. So what do YOU expect?

This isn't leading anywhere.

Are you really saying that I only may speak if I have at least 2000 pics uploaded?
Are you really saying that the site is perfect?

Uwe

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2011, 11:51:06 AM »
Uwe

you are right, but what is a PERFECTLY GOOD or interesting picture ? You might say, ships alongside from the dock,,,super interesting
Some think only tugs are real ships,,others only the newest and biggest passenger ships or box carriers,,the next says,,all crap,, I like fishers.
So this definition of interesting and good is mainly also associated with the view of the
photographer and his background. I see some posting almost entriely older ships,, 60,s and before,,,, they are called by others "living in the past"  honestly I like to look at a old reefer or general cargo much more than those new meat carriers which they classify as passenger ships nowadays.  It comes down on the end all to ones own perception and view.
Suggest to all relax a little,, and let deal the ADM.s with it. Fight out with them if you like too, but not too hard,,they also only doing a job, a good job I can say,, also when I do not agree with them on all matters.
brgds
capt ted
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Fergal Clohessy

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2011, 12:09:18 PM »
we are all individual contributors to the site. some of our photos are great, some not so great. but we are all contributors and we should all be thanked for our endeavours, as without us this site would not exist.
I dont think any photos should be deleted. if they are not "eye candy" enough for those who really like looking at ship photos, or indeed those compulsive users who like to save other peoples photos, then look at someone elses. its not fair to delete photos if someone has made an honest effort and done so with enthusiasm towards their hobby of ship spotting. its simply just rude, and ignorant and belittling other peoples efforts

Offline Fergal Clohessy

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2011, 12:16:49 PM »
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fergalclohessy/3701937991/
I posted the above photo some years back. quality isnt great, distance is an issue. I took it from a helicopter about 200 km off the west coast of Ireland.
As far as I can see there is not another photo of this vessel on ship spotting or indeed the internet. however, it was deleted as it was too distant in the photo.
where is the sense in that?

Offline itsfoto

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2011, 12:20:22 PM »
Ted,

Thanks for joining the discussion.
Everything you say I can agree with.
As for the rhetorical question, what is a good picture? I'd say this:
If a number of members express themselves in favour of a particular photo in the "awaiting deletion" category it surely wouldn't hurt anybody if it was allowed to stay. In that case an admin does not have to take refuge in "blaming" the rules.
As you say, some like this, some like that. Personally I hate those tiny near-shore fishing vessels, I find the "ships' crests" category ridiculous. That doesn't mean that I intend to fight their existence on this site, though.
What upsets me is reluctance of a few of the admins to listen and to admit.
cheers
Uwe

Offline Paul Bradshaw

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2011, 01:22:49 PM »
Well said Derek, "join the team" if you don't like how the site is being administered.

But I have to agree that there are some inconsistancies in the deletions. I personally have tried to post a variety along with some detials about the location along with the vessel specs which I was able to research. I also try to update the info in when more becomes available. But I have had photos deleated which have had hundreds of views? Recently I came across a tug and barge which had not been paired up in a photo on this web site. Other than the two vessels the only other thing in the photo was what fell in the line of site required to capture the subject? And yet there are a lot of examples of several posts of the same vessel by the same photographer in the time frame of less than a minute with no details what so ever.

I don't currenty have time to participate as an admin but if I can I would like to suggest to the good volunteers we do have that it may be a good idea to start to weed out some of the duplication and consider the value in the time an individual has contributed to a photo and the story behind it even if they have a less than perfect photograph.

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2011, 02:09:36 PM »
All what I can say more is,,,this discussion shows exactly where the problem lies
6-7 people and 3-4 different opinions,  guess nobody can make it right.

Research,,yes great,,but like us at sea,, how,, the internet we usually have is a USB stick,,at best. Only a few ships have high speed internet access. Then research ?  it takes
me sometimes 3-4 tries and for a 200kb pic 10-15 min to upload. So,, if a ADM delete,s one
a reason given might be helpfull/soothing . Honestly sometimes it is not,, I had a funnel deleted recently with the explanation that the funnel was already sufficient documented.  Ok,,point taken,, but if that is the case,, then most regular container ships,,special in EU ports like Rdam and HH or the Thames river have to be deleted half of them. Some of the members here uploaded feeder container ships over 20 times,,the same ship,same views,that now makes really no sense to me. but then,,it does not hurt anynoe,,so why to bother to complain on that.
I just enjoy the site,,, (sometimes also not) and post what I have,, you like it,,fine make a nice comment,,you don,t like,,don,t look at it,,that easy :-))  (I think)

brgds
capt ted
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Tony des Landes

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2011, 08:05:20 PM »
I think this site has grown in maturity and improved immensely over the years, due in no small part to the development of the rules and the strict adherence by the admins.

It should be remembered that these rules evolved through the wishes of the members, who complained about the repetitious images with only a slight variation between each shot, or the photo of something black with a few yellow dots on it etc, etc.

I agree that that there are some inconsistencies in the rules, a crest or deck is not a full ship in my view, or even a funnel for that matter, and if members posted high resolution photos, they could be viewed at full size to see the detail if required. But that

Offline Tomislav Raymondi

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2011, 08:45:32 PM »
I agree with Fergal that the deleted photo was merely beautiful, now the vessel is seen in full, I suppose that the wrong point was not due to the fact that the was taken from one helicopter, I repeat again all about a distance, size are exclusively subject to the criteria of the person who is acting as Admin.

Some days ago, I posted two photos of the M/V Mulungisi at the port of Valparaiso, loading fruits, one of the reasons of the deletions was that there were obstruction, of course there were some launchs anchored in the port which is totally normal here, I do not if in Europe the boats and launchs must be anchored out of the ports, here Yes you can and without any problem after you have the permission from the Navy, you see there are also different ways and customs of life, and I am not will include all the ornaments around the port such as masts, pier for embarking tourists to take a round through the bay (Muelle Prat)and so on.

I have around 20 photos already deleted, of course some of them are correctly downloaded, but I have posted all of them in the well understanding that they complied with the rules of the site, and without any other purpose, four (4) photos were deleted by myself after posting them, because after a second sight I considered that they were ugly, and very dark and so on.

Who told that this site is great and is over 1000000 photos is right, but all this is thanks to all the menbers and not for the action of a few persons.

What really upset me and this is my humble opinion, is when a photo is downloaded by someone and nobody has at least the courtesy to tell you the reason of the deletion, even if the explanation can merely be "because I did not like your photo", I think that all these rules can be perfectioned with the time, is simple evolution.

Kind Regards

Tomislav Raymondi.

One of my photos deleted:

« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 12:53:52 PM by Tomislav Raymondi »

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2011, 12:09:03 AM »
Good said, Tony !!!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk