Author Topic: Site policy and admin's behaviour  (Read 13802 times)

Offline itsfoto

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Site policy and admin's behaviour
« on: December 07, 2011, 09:21:44 PM »
I am increasingly concerned about the way this site is being handled be some of the admins.
Maybe the majority thinks that criticism is destructive. But I understand that some believe this to be true for the situation in Egypt as well, or other oppressed peoples. The opposite is true. I wouldn't bother if I didn't find Shipspotting a worthy cause to be.
I find it incredible that an open discussion about shortcomings or oddities on the site is squelched so systematically.
What makes me wince is for example this:
A slightly obscure category for "Ship's Crests" is tolerable, but perfectly good and very interesting shots of ship's propellers of such famous ships as "United States" or "Canberra" are not. Why? Because the rules say so, apparently.
The rules are gospel, is the message.
Fine.
But are they?
I have seen pictures deleted for the sole reason that "human heads in the foreground" were "distracting". Can the word "distracting" be found in the rules, I wonder?
I have largely given up protesting against odd deletions of pictures (admins: rejoice!), but arbitrariness, pettiness and over-zealousness are still being seen all too often.
Deleting comments (on pictures or on the forum) is a totally different matter, though. Is that really necessary in a civilized world (or site)?
Yeah, I know, the admins are only human, and their workload is ever so heavy. But to fight the common members' "humanity" in this offhandish manner, not even shying away from abusive language FROM AN ADMIN is a strange way to handle things indeed.
I would like to see members take part in an open, constructive discussion about how to improve this site, not only technically (we have seen tremendous improvements here, and are eagerly awaiting more of the same), but also culturally. Rules are good and necessary, but subject to scrutiny at all times. And if in doubt...
Why not be just a little more flexible.
The admin's gut reaction to defend and strike back must stop now and give way to a policy of greater openness. The overall quality of this site will not suffer, but improve. And that's a fact.

Uwe

Offline Tomislav Raymondi

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Site policy and admin's behaviour
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 10:20:06 PM »
Dear Uwe

I share your point of view about all what you are commented here, one of my photos which I posted yesterday was crossed out by myself because part of the hair of a head appeared in my photo, as per a comment noted down by I think some administrator of the site.

I agree that a photo must be crossed out if blurred, totally sloped, half a ship is shown, out of phocus and so on, but because part of a head or hair of a head appeared, well this must not be a cause of deletion except if a fellow or fellows appear making obsene gesture or laughing or merely obstructing the photo, that is a good and reasonable cause of deletion for any photo.

Another point to be taken into account is the distance of the vessel shown in the photos, some comments argued for deleting a photo is that the object is too far away or far away, but that is also a matter to be analyzed due to the fact that what is too far away?, however the vessel can be seen without any trouble or is just a point like a fly and nothing can be seen.

Vocabulary used by some persons here, (affortunately not by all) is sometimes very offensive, as far as I know there does not exist Prima Donnas here, or am I wrong?

I would suggest to check again some minor details and to continue our posting of photos, the main point of this web site is the exchange of comments about ships and sea matters and nothing else.

Kind Regards

Tomislav Raymondi.

Offline Tomas

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?cid=&uid=3166&orderby=hitsD
Re: Site policy and admin's behaviour
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 10:32:21 PM »
Dear Tomislav.

Just some hours ago, i saw this picture beeing updated.
http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1451800

and i quote from your text:
"I agree that a photo must be crossed out if blurred, totally sloped, half a ship is shown, out of phocus and so on"

Then why do you upload this picture? I like looking at your pictures, but then again i dont understand why you upload half a ship?
Please continue your uploads.

Tomas

Offline Jarrod David

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 02:08:18 AM »
I would like to add my 2 cents worth into this disscussion. While I can appreciate the hard work of the Admins here and I know it can't be an easy job and I will point out they have been great to contact me and let me know they are deleting a photo with a reason. The  issue that I had was that we were using the disscussion forum a bit to much.We were not warned about it.We thought it was good that we were using the forum to disscuss shipping(Even though it was an interest to us East coast Canadians).All of a sudden we get a personal message(In a bit of a nasty nature) Saying to basically get lost after all you are a small majority from Canada and unimportant to the majority of the Europeans, after all they don't care about your interests..Which made us feel like we were not welcome at all here.So what I think everyone here is trying to say is they could be more polite in getting their points across.If they are attacked first then by all means let them have it, but if we don't work together here with a little of give and take then what is the point.I always thought every member was important here.
[color=0066FF]Jarrod David[/color][/b]

Offline Kyle Larabee

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bobtrucker123
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 03:00:41 AM »
I am with Jarrod. That discussion we where having I think was good for the forum because it was a little dead at that time. But I guess some people didn't like it ::) and because of this some quit the site. I love this place but some times I don't feel welcome here.

Kyle   

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 10:12:27 AM »
Just a thought

Since centuries and longer the world is now and then at war, cultures clashing and so on
does anynoe really believe that a web site like this, world wide open to anyone does not create sooner or later crashes between the memebers ?
Being tolerant,, ok,,but what is tolerant ? In some societies tolerant is to let the other breeze and for the next walking naked over every beach they like. Depends all in what society you live.
Posting pictures, quality wise peoples like Tomas have sure superb pictures, but he lives virtually in the path of vessels and in a place where the nature is on his side(most of the time). Take my pictures,,very diverse, coming around as master, for sure sometimes pictures between where other members might say/think "for what" to post.
Nevertheless I would never say that Tomas pictures are "dull" over time or perhaps my pictures make you sleep. The diversity makes the spice of this site I think. The ADM can only "police" the qualities of the posted pictures but certainly not "police" the diversity of the peoples and their postings. I had my run in with ADM,s too, but generally can say that I never had a clash with them which got out of control. Of course, everybody thinks HE/SHE has the best pictures, but then, that is a personal opinion. I also think sometimes, when I see the 50th picture of the latest mega container vessel, from the stb side down stream the Elbe/Schelde,,for what to post them still. Sometimes you see the same ship from the same spot taken the same time by different photographers,,that makes sense ?  For them,,yes,,for some of us possibly not. Good question ?,,but then everybody has it is own place on this site, so let them post.
May be a good advise, that discussions which are not directly connected to shipping or postings should be avoided. ?  :-)))

brgds
capt ted
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Jarrod David

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 01:08:16 PM »
Very well said Capt Ted.

Take Care
Jarrod
[color=0066FF]Jarrod David[/color][/b]

Offline Kyle Larabee

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bobtrucker123
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 09:00:25 PM »
That was well said Capt Ted.

Kyle

Offline Tomislav Raymondi

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 01:18:30 AM »
Dear Tomas

If you see my photo of the Container Ship Rio Grande taken at the port of San Antonio, Chile long time ago (too much for my like), you will see that the photo shows the vessel from the bow to the stern and the second photo of this vessel also posted in the same date, shows the vessel from the stern to bow thus, you have a clear vision of the whole ship, many times due to space problems on the docks or piers it is impossible to take the whole ship in a single shot, therefore you have to take two photos as I did and so you can have all the ship.

Kind Regards

Tomi.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 01:25:09 AM by Tomislav Raymondi »

Offline Tomas

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?cid=&uid=3166&orderby=hitsD
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 08:22:10 AM »
Yep Tomislav, i see your point. But that cant hinder the fact that the rules state that the whole ship must be shown.

I aintn no fan of that rule myself, but that is the  rules.

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 09:55:10 AM »
Tomas,
don,t look at it too tight, always the whole ship,,that means all pictures taken from
a berth side or in a dry dock or similar falling through, that would be a pity
brgds
capt ted
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Tomas

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 10:00:37 AM »
Hi Ted, i know that.

BUT, if we shall follow the rules strictly, you know... Full ships only.

And if we MUST/shall follow the rules, etc.
I aint no followers of rules, i live my life way off track, and do what i like to do, but somehow i follow the rules aas well as i can, on this site.

Offline itsfoto

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 10:09:10 AM »
That's exactly what I don't understand.
Of course it's a good idea to have rules and to abide by them.
And most of the rules here are perfectly sensible.
And of course are most of the admins and users perfectly able to understand and handle them.

But the rules aren't given to us by the LORD.
If it turns out that a rule or part of one could do with some improvement, why not take a look at the issue.

The sole purpose of the rules is to ensure quality. Therefore it is a complete mystery why perfectly good or interesting photos are rejected "because of the rules". How can the overall quality of the site benefit from that?
I don't get it.

cheers
Uwe

BobS

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 10:30:22 AM »
While there have undoubtedly been occasional instances of over-zealousness - and maybe even downright unreasonableness - on the part of certain Admins when it has come to deletions, the site rules are perfectly clear and reasonable in their aim of maintaining a certain standard of ship photograph on the site and the vast majority of deletions by Admins have perfectly justifiable.
As the site has grown massively in the past few years, so has the number of sub-standard photos being posted on it. Were it not for the thankless efforts of the Admins to weed out the rubbish (there is still quite a lot on-site that they have missed), the site would be nowhere near as enjoyable as it is.
To those persistent moaners, not only about photo deletions but also about moderation in the Forum, I would suggest: go join one of the other ship enthusiast sites where the rules are more lax - or non existent. Then, when you have discovered that none of those sites are as successful, well-run or enjoyable as this one, come back, follow the rules and enjoy this one without complaining all the time.  
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 10:39:44 AM by Bob Scott »

Offline itsfoto

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 10:54:39 AM »
Pointing at other sites doesn't really do the trick.
This one is the best of it's kind.
And that's thanks to the admins.
That's also why we (eternal moaners) care.
That good enough Bob?

Nevertheless, even the best can be improved.

It's not really about the deletions. 95 per cent are absolutely justified (or 99 or whatever).
It's about a few admins wielding their power in a grand manner, sometimes using the rules as an excuse.

Yet another example. Recently I have seen pics in the "Ships' decks"-category deleted because they did not show the whole deck. True enough, that's by the rules. But half the pics in this category would have to go, if the rule was to be applied that strictly. Does that really make sense? How much is "whole"? Why is a swimming pool admissible, whilst a deck crane is not?

It's that sort of question that merits a second look in my eyes.

And just as understandably tired the admins are of criticism, just as tired am I of being told off like I was but a misbehaving schoolboy.

cheers
Uwe

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk