Author Topic: SYN ANTARES  (Read 6985 times)

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
SYN ANTARES
« on: November 22, 2011, 04:46:03 PM »
Hi there, particularly to our friends in Gdansk

Can anyone tell me what has happened, or is happening, to the ethylene/lpg tanker Syn Antares, built Gdansk B3 slipway during 2009.  I assume she is one of the pair for Synergas to be fitted out by Cant. Nav. Pesaro, but has she left Gdansk ?  Or have the Italians reneged on the deal.  She seems well on the way to completion in December 2009, when the pics were posted on the site, but still appears to be there on a video I have watched of the launch of Vestland Insula in April this year.

She does not come up in Equasis, so I assume she is not completed yet. I have IMO #s of 9512848 and 9512850 for the pair.

any info welcomed

Allan

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: SYN ANTARES
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 05:13:40 PM »
Allan,

Hull 127 (was TBN Syn Antares) is approximately 80% complete. The contract was cancelled but the whole process has been dogged by arbitration which I am not sure is settled. The ship will probably eventually be sold on and may be completed elsewhere, though not Pesaro as that is part of the problem. Hull 128 (was TBN Syn Alioth) will not be completed.

This explains more
http://www.ship2shore.it/english/articolo.php?id=7679

Brgds
Phil
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 05:19:18 PM by Phil English »

Offline polsteam

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://ships.greenet.pl/photo
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 05:18:14 PM »
Syn Antares is still stuck at the slipway.

Great majority of work done had already been paid so the Gdansk yard itself has not been significantly hit, but the financial difficulties or bankruptcy of the owners or ordering party (Pesaro) made it impossible to finish works.

The ship awaits on the slipway. The hull is painted. Reportedly the main engine has not been supplied yet. It was supposed to be the "owners' supply" (supply from ordering party). Two independent thermally insulated LPG tanks brought onboard BigLift ship are laying somewhere at the yard and waiting. So is the trunk deck structure with piping, manifolds, etc. to cover the tanks installed in the hull. You can see it from the excursion vessel on a harbour trip. As far as publicly accessible places are concerned - the ship (and the slipway) is visible from the bridge to the Ostrow island (where Remontowa SA and most of the Gdansk Shipyard is placed).

The slipway occupied by Syn Antares is not needed by the yard and will be closed after launching of Syn Antares. EC ordered the yard to limit production output to one launching berth and the yard uses another slipway anyway (not the one occupied by Syn Antares).

In July 2011 the official from the yard said there were some talks between the owner (or its successor, maybe lenders), the financial institutions and the yard and there was some hope for restarting work on Syn Antares and finishing the ship. I have no fresh news since. I suppose if the ship is ever launched and finished, it will be under new ownership (not the initial ordering party).

I would think (I do not know), that at least some steel is cut or even some sections for the second hull exist.

The delays with Syn Antares have surely not been caused by Gdansk Shipyard. If delays are the reason for cancellation then maybe Pesaro (main contractor) was delaying equipment supplies to Gdansk Shipyard...
The ship was meant to be fully equipped and turn-key delivered by Gdansk Shipyard, but formally Gdansk was acting as a sub-contractor to Pesaro.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 05:30:55 PM by polsteam »
despite using "polsteam" for my nick I have NO personal (professional) or business connections with the company of the same name

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 05:26:12 PM »
If I can clarify, the problem is with Pesaro, who were liquidated. They subcontracted the hulls to Gdansk but Gdansk were hoping to complete the ships after the failure of Pesaro but it all went pear shaped with litigation between Synergas and Pesaro. Gdansk got caught in the middle. Sysnergas are a trading company and still in business

Offline polsteam

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://ships.greenet.pl/photo
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 05:33:20 PM »
According to my knowledge from reliable / competent sources it was from the start meant that the ships would be finished, outfitted and turn-key delivered from Gdansk (even if FORMALLY Pesaro was the main contractor) and not just "hulls subcontracted" to Gdansk.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 05:37:53 PM by polsteam »
despite using "polsteam" for my nick I have NO personal (professional) or business connections with the company of the same name

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 05:37:05 PM »
Hi Guys

Many thanks for the very prompt replies and full information.  I suspected that something like this had happened.  Can't trust Italian shipyards, happened at Szczecin and in the days when we built things in UK at H&W with the new section fot Costa whatever it was. Anyway, I can now update the database !!

Allan

Offline descieux

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 06:02:59 AM »

Good Day All

i am new on the forum and find many very interesting topics and infos - i am in the visa business with almost all ships owners and manning companies worldwide and just noted this topic about SYN vessels- just wondering if this company might be in a financial risky situation ( we are delaing for crew changes with them in Italy -) Maybe my quesion is out of what is allowed in which case pls do not consider my comment

Hi there, particularly to our friends in Gdansk

Can anyone tell me what has happened, or is happening, to the ethylene/lpg tanker Syn Antares, built Gdansk B3 slipway during 2009.  I assume she is one of the pair for Synergas to be fitted out by Cant. Nav. Pesaro, but has she left Gdansk ?  Or have the Italians reneged on the deal.  She seems well on the way to completion in December 2009, when the pics were posted on the site, but still appears to be there on a video I have watched of the launch of Vestland Insula in April this year.

She does not come up in Equasis, so I assume she is not completed yet. I have IMO #s of 9512848 and 9512850 for the pair.

any info welcomed

Allan

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 11:11:09 PM »
Came across this old conversation about SYN ANTARES (IMO 9512848)
It is perhaps worth noting that - as can be seen from members' uploads - Synergas and Stocznia Gdanska reached some form of agreement that led to the ship being launched 18/12/2012 and delivered n 5/2014 (only seven years after order!).

As Phil mentioned, the intended sister ship was not built.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk