Author Topic: Laid up Shipping  (Read 14553 times)

Offline Colwyn Grace

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Laid up Shipping
« on: August 09, 2017, 06:34:47 PM »
Just a passing thought but I wonder if it would be possible to set up a section regarding ships laid up, there are seven or eight ORSV's currently laid up in Hull and Goole. Are there any laid up elsewhere? I spotted a couple of reefers laid up nr Falmouth about 2 yrs ago, and a pair  of ORSV's at Blyth a year or so ago. Comments please.

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Laid up Shipping
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 07:04:37 PM »
I think we already have MORE than enough categories

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 08:00:06 PM »
I think we already have MORE than enough categories

I think what is meant is a topic on the forum, not a new category for photo's  
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 06:26:03 AM by pieter melissen »

Offline Tom Walker

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 10:38:29 PM »
Hi,
As far as I know, the research ship TRITON and the three reefers SWEDISH REEFER, HELLAS REEFER, and NEDERLAND REEFER are currently laid up near King Harry Ferry on the River Fal.

The large lng ARCTIC DISCOVERER has been anchored in Lyme Bay for a few days, presumably for orders.

Best regards

Tom

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 11:50:01 PM »
Well, Colwyn, I think that you actually started one.

Why not have this thread, like the Ship Scrappings and Renamings threads, on the Shipping News forum where reports can be added as info comes to hand, whether from spots or otherwise.  I'll move it there anyway.

Offline Tom Walker

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 12:21:03 PM »
Hi Davidships,
Can you explain what the 'top level' forum is for if not shipping news?  I tend to just look at the home page when logging on and not drill down to other parts of the forum and probably miss out on information of actual shipspotting interest or the chance of contributing.  Is the level that you access on log in just for things like copyright issues, links to videos, and discussion on the qualities of photos submitted please?

Best regards

Tom

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 10:01:22 PM »
Not really sure whether I have grasped your question, Tom, as we don't have a "top level" forum.  Each of the Forums deals with different subjects relevant to or of interest to our varied membership.

On the front page you will see the ten discussion headings from the most recent contributions to the forums. If you want to keep up with additions on any individual forum, you will need to bookmark the Forum list:
http://forum.shipspotting.com/index.php
or the particular forum of interest, eg for Shiping News:
http://forum.shipspotting.com/index.php/board,2.0.html

Please come back to me either direct or by message if I have missed the target.

David
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 11:14:16 PM by davidships »

Offline sam2182sw

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 02:18:40 PM »
I LIKE THAT IT IS GOOD TO KNOW WHERE THE SHIPS ARE LAID UP AND THERE NAMES TO.  IN HULL NOW   FOUR  TORSA OFFSHORE LAID UP IN ALBERT DOCK.  KEEP IT UP   SAM2182SW

Offline Colwyn Grace

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 03:37:30 PM »
Thanks for the interest shown by you all, I think that laid up shipping would be a good topic to follow. I happen to live in land locked Sth Yorks and when visiting Marine Traffic to see what ships are where it is only the vessels which are active that show up on AIS. The laid  up vessels, in Hull for example are not shown, however ABP Humber do show them on their website. I will be in the Falmouth area next week and whilst in my experience Falmouth has been pretty poor in spotting opportunities, I did get some cracking shots of two reefers laid up near King Harry ferry once. That was my main reason for starting this discussion. Thanks for all your comments.   

Offline Tom Walker

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 03:54:35 PM »
David:

Thanks for the explanation, that's fine, cheers.

Colwyn Grace:

If it is of interest, the Falmouth Port Website for scheduled movements is:

https://www.falmouthharbour.co.uk/shipping/shipping-movements/

You probably know that the River Fal boat trips pass through King Harry Reach with good views, but viewing from the landside is also possible at Tolverne.  If you cross on the ferry and turn sharp left halfway up the hill (on the east side of the river) the road (built by the US troops during the war) can take you down to the pub at the bottom, and you can get opposite the ships, depending on the tide.

Have a good time in Falmouth,

Best Regards

Tom

Offline Russell Judge

• Supporter
  • Just can't stay away
  • Ex seagoing engineer 1965-1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 11:35:19 AM »
On my recent trip to Piraeus, I noticed quite a few ships apparently laid up in Eleusis bay. Obviously AIS was turned off so they are unidentified as far as I am concerned.
I have photos but are too distant for positive ID.
Has anyone a list of what is there?

Offline Nektarios Papadakis

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 06:42:59 PM »
On my recent trip to Piraeus, I noticed quite a few ships apparently laid up in Eleusis bay. Obviously AIS was turned off so they are unidentified as far as I am concerned.
I have photos but are too distant for positive ID.
Has anyone a list of what is there?
I was there last week and have photographed most of them. Upload your photos in "mystery ships" and i will id them for you.
Best wishes,
Nektarios

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 11:14:42 AM »
With regard to the ORSV's in Hull and Goole, they are all in cold lay-up with everything switched off, and sealed to protect the electronic equipment, hence they do not show on AIS. Any ship that is in cold lay-up will be the same, so it will be difficult to track them using AIS. Ships in short-term lay up tend to be in warm lay-up with essential services kept running and a skeleton crew. They should show on AIS.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk