Author Topic: MSC punished with fine  (Read 3781 times)

Offline portagent

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?uid=3218
MSC punished with fine
« on: December 21, 2005, 06:11:15 PM »
A court in Boston, Mass./USA has punished Hongkong based MSC Ship Management with a fine of US-Dollar 10,5 Mio. for pumping more than 40 tons of sludge into the Atlantic. MSC confirmed that this incident happened on board of their MSC ELENA.
(source: German Shipping Gazette THB)
dead slow ahead !  :-)
best regards, Klaus

Offline Magne Jacobsen

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Re: MSC punished with fine
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 03:07:56 PM »
Are you sure that it was sludge they dumped into the ocean. I haven't read anything in MARPOL that it is illegal to dump sludge. If it was waste oil or some other polluting matter I agree with this judgement, but sludge??
[color=009966]Magne[/color]

Offline Mats

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 04:42:47 PM »
That, my friend, would be a very dangerous misapprehension. Any discharge of sludge, oil, oily waste and water with more than 15 parts per million (PPM) of oil or other pollutants is strictly prohibitet under MARPOL and national laws. In particular, these violations have been intensely prosecuted by US authorities. US authorities have ways to prosecute these crimes also if they only happen in international waters.

I have worked a lot with these cases and will find time to write more fully on this very important subject later, as voilations like the ones MSC, NCL, Evergreen, Carnival Cruise Line, AP M

Offline Magne Jacobsen

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 09:37:52 PM »
Yes, Mats, I see that I'm wrong. But I still can't see how sludge can be polluting. If the sludge has been in contact with other polluting materials, or if the ship has discharged the sludge in a way that it covers large parts of the sea bed, I can see the problem. But 40 tons sludge can't cover so much...?

Regards
Magne

Offline Tord Avsnes S

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/tordsaele/
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 11:18:05 AM »
Hello
For your information Sludge can an most often comes from heavy fuel oil. And it is strictly prohibited to pump into the sea. Most modern ships today can however incinerate the sludge and/or they are equipped with a sludge seperator which minimise the problem.

Tord

Offline Magne Jacobsen

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 03:10:12 PM »
OK, I understand the problem. Thank you for this information Tord.

Best wishes
Magne

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk